Sword of Damocles

Public humiliation, albeit unintentional, turned out to be the solution to Zee's immediate problem.

Zee had tried diplomacy and honesty but none of them worked. He likes to think that he is not a mean person and that has a healthy respect for women, especially considering that he loves his mother and his sister dearly and that his best friend is also a girl. So it had been a struggle for him to walk away from the disaster that his father initiated and which he voluntarily stepped in.

The girl, Star Penya, may have delicate features but her attitude was anything but. A two-faced bitch was how Yihwa described her. Zee had agreed to a date with Star simply because he wanted to please his father. But the girl was insufferable and extremely immature. A spoiled brat is the nicest thing that Zee can say about her.

Zee had never agreed to continue seeing her after their disastrous first date where Star insulted the waiter and threatened to sue the chef of the restaurant where they had dinner. Zee had told her clearly that it wasn't going to work out between them and he thought that was that. But over the following days and weeks, Star would suddenly show up in front Zee for one reason or another. She would pretend that everything was fine between them and act like a possessive girlfriend. She lied so deftly that even Yihwa had fallen for it, which led to their fight by the lake that Saint partially witnessed.

At the charity ball that his father forced him to attend, Zee didn't even know that Star would be there. But he should have known. It was too late to bail and she had latched on to his arm like a leech. She acted obnoxiously but surprisingly silent when Zee had met Saint's parents. Zee was thankful for that reprieve. However, when Zee suddenly disappeared on her before the dancing began and she was left standing all alone, she threw a tantrum. A grown-ass woman throwing a tantrum. What. The. Fuck. Zee's father said he was thoroughly humiliated that his son had abandoned his date, prompting her to burst into tears.

"So unbecoming!" Zee's father roared. "Is that how I raised you?  With no manners? How dare you subject her to such humiliation? I've never been so ashamed to be your father!"

Like all the other verbal blows he had received over the years, Zee just stood there and took it. But this time though, he made his own position clear.

"I'm sorry I left without telling her but she wasn't my date and I hope you'll stop forcing me to see her. I'm not interested in her," Zee met his father's eyes.

"Not interested? Are you blind? She's a wonderful girl with a good family background, what's there not to like?" Zee's father asked irately.

Zee could list all the things wrong with the girl but he's not willing to waste anymore of his time. "I just don't like her. You'll have to find another way to cement your business relationship with her father but you won't be doing it through me." And with that, Zee walked away from his father's livid shouts.

"I have a surprise for you!" Saint's voice was full of teasing. 

Poon, who was almost 11 years old, tried to act indifferent even though his eyes betrayed his excitement. Poon has adjusted well at BKK Boys' Home. The court hearing on his case came and went. His parents didn't show up to take responsibility for him. For the court, it was clear the boy suffered from parental neglect and abandonment, thus an order for Poon to become a ward of the state was issued. Poon, instead of being distressed, had looked relieved.

"Are you going to open it?" Saint asked after Poon held the gift wrapped in brown paper for a little too long.

With his little fingers, Poon carefully tugged at the clear tape that fastened the edges of the brown paper together.  It didn't take him long to unwrap the book that Saint had given him. It was a children's book about various occupations. It is romanticized as children's books are but Saint is hoping Poon would be inspired to set goals for his future.