Our Journey [M]

It's the middle of summer and sunscreen is a must, especially for Saint whose skin reddens so easily under the unrelenting blaze of the midday sun. It has been hours since he landed in Bangkok and Saint had been busy doing some errands. As a result, he was both sweaty and dusty. It was not exactly the kind of look Saint wanted Zee to see after 7 months of separation. So maybe his plan was less than perfect but he couldn't wait anymore.

Taking off his aviator sunglasses, Saint stared at the cafe's matte black signage, his light brown eyes catching the cool cobalt blue Z intertwined with a vibrant crimson S. Circling around the letters are blue and red Chinese dragons chasing each other. He felt that design under his fingertips months ago but tracing them on embossed paper was so much different from actually seeing in high definition.

Yihwa, who designed the logo, said she chose Chinese dragons because they are a symbol of power, strength, and good luck. That same logo is on the keychain of of the Ducati he borrowed from Simon. Zee didn't mention they were giving out keychains as a marketing tool. He stroked the keychain hoping that he could have some of that good luck with him.

Earlier, Simon slapped the keys in his hand and insisted, "It's yours."

"I already gave it to you. I'm not taking it back. I'm just borrowing it for a while." Saint had already explained why he needed to borrow the motorcycle.

"Well, I'm re-gifting it to you so take it and don't give it back!" Simon shoved a helmet at Saint's chest. Simon wouldn't take no for an answer and Saint didn't have the luxury of time to argue. 

The rumble of 126 horsepower between his legs was strange and familiar at the same time. The motorcycle looked well-maintained and free from scratches he would have expected as normal. Saint wondered if Simon used it at all or did he just keep it like a while elephant in his garage.

Muscle memory made driving easy but his eyes had difficulty adjusting to Bangkok's changing streets, there were a lot of new establishments he didn't recognize. If not for a web mapping service, Saint might have taken several wrong turns. 

Now that he has arrived at his destination, Saint cut off the engine before taking off his helmet. It was so hot that he could feel the sweat dripping from the tips of his hair. His white long-sleeved shirt was sticking to him in some places. Even the bouquet of blue hyacinths that he bought from a flower shop he passed by looked thirsty and exhausted.

The cafe looked like an urban oasis with lush green  plants all around it. The signage was the only black and bright-colored item within the vicinity. Everything else looked green and earthy.  

The concept had changed from the initial industrial chic that was very masculine to a garden and library-themed cafe that encouraged people to linger and relax, giving them a reason to visit their out-the-way location. According to Janis, she wanted to target the rich housewives of Bangkok and encourage them to support both the cafe and the H.O.P.E. foundation.

Saint gave the dragon keychain one last stroke before putting the keys in his pocket. He was aware it was foolish to rely just on luck, that's why he has his blue-colored apologies clutched in his left hand. With his right hand, Saint hefted his heavy backpack that he took from the house and strode towards the entrance.  

People say hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Saint kept this in mind as he pushed open the cafe's wood and glass door. His skin tingled as the cool breeze from the airconditioner washed over him. The smell of vanilla, sugar, chocolate and coffee was an irresistible combination that tantalized his nose. His eyes swept across the main area, he didn't know the ceiling was that high and he unconsciously nodded in approval. Plants were everywhere inside the cafe as well but tastefully arranged so the place doesn't look like an indoor jungle. Different types of tables and chairs were strategically placed, allowing patrons to talk comfortably.