Chocolate Maker

"Die, you fuckers! Die, die, die!"

The noise in the living room was unbearable for Zee even if he was in the kitchen working on his latest experiment -- alcohol-laced bonbons.

"You're not hitting anything!" Nate helpfully pointed out.

"He's dead, asshole, he just hasn't fallen down yet!" Yihwa retorted.

"I don't know why you still keep playing. You suck so bad!" Tommy cheerfully insulted Yihwa.

"Oh, yeah? Well, suck my dick, asshole!" Yihwa snapped back.

I need new friends, Zee thought as he carefully shook the plastic mold to release any air pockets inside the chocolates. After he placed the mold inside the refrigerator, Zee retrieved the wireless earphones from his bedroom and queued his favorite playlist on his phone. He particularly likes the songs covered by his idols on YouTube, MingEr and Boyce Avenue.

His friends dropped by earlier unannounced and proceeded to invade and take over his living room. It was Saturday and next week was their mid-terms exam. They've been studying all week. The stress prompted Zee to make a lot of chocolate-flavored desserts. He baked some chocolate cake, brownies and cookies. It was like he couldn't go to sleep unless he made something with chocolate. So their refrigerator and pantry were quite full.

Zee glanced at the clock and saw it was almost 11 a.m. His friends are still engrossed playing Assassin's Creed on his playstation. But he knew they were going to complain and pester him for food. Cooking wasn't his forte. He prefers the preciseness of baking and making chocolates, their sweet smell reminding him carefree days. So he decided to make sandwiches for lunch. It doesn't involve cooking and it only takes a few braincells to put some stuff in between slices of bread.

Outside Zee's house, Saint slowed his motorcycle to a stop and double-checked Google Maps. He seemed to be in the right house. He could see Zee's Lexus in the driveway. 

Saint wanted to go to the Library Train today but Lieutenant Amdee said he would not be welcomed. Nine had given Lt. Amdee the heads-up that Saint needed to study for his mid-term exams. For Lt. Amdee, education should always be prioritized. That had been her condition to Saint when he started volunteering three years ago. Saint can help out teaching the kids but his education should come first. After all, education is the main goal of the Library Train.    

So Saint agreed to a group study with Cass, Janis and Prae. He pressed the doorbell by the gate but nobody seems to be responding. He was about to call Cass when a fair-skinned and broad-shouldered guy came out of the house and strode towards the gate.

"Um... sawadee krub, is Cass home? I'm her classmate, Saint."

"Oh, I know you!" the guy exclaimed when he got a good look at Saint.

"Huh?"

"I mean, she's not home yet but come inside!" the guy said enthusiastically as he opened the gate and pulled Saint by his arm that wasn't holding his helmet.

"Um, maybe I should come back later when she's home," Saint hesitated.

"Oh, no, no, no! Stay! Zee is inside," the guy grinned showing a healthy set of teeth between his thick lips. "My name's Nathan but you can call me Nate. I'm a classmate and a friend of Zee."

Before Saint could respond, Nate pushed Saint through the open door and yelled, "Look who's here, guys!"

"Saint!" Yihwa squealed happily, running towards him.

Saint deftly moved behind Nate to evade Yihwa. A tall guy with light brown skin quickly snaked an arm around Yihwa's waist and lifted her away.

"Sorry about that. We forgot to chain her up. She has rabies. I'm glad you are smart enough to stay away from her. My name's Tommy. It's nice to finally meet you."