H.O.P.E.

The cafeteria was unusually noisy today as the students, especially the first years, talked about their candidates for the Moon and Star contest.

Each faculty must submit their candidates by the end of the day. The main event is scheduled for the end of August, after the mid-term exams. Between then and now, the candidates will have ample time to drum up support and do some activities to promote their faculties.

"I can't understand why Saint refused the nomination," Janis grumbled before taking a bite of her stir-fried basil and pork.

"At least Prae agreed," Cass pointed out, giving the silent Prae a supportive smile.

"You will definitely win, Prae," Janis enthused. "I think both you and Saint should be the Star and Moon of our university. It's too bad Saint refused."

Prae smiled at Janis, moved by her support. She didn't really want to be their faculty's candidate for the Star contest but Prae sucked at saying no. Whenever someone asks her to do something, she couldn't utter the two-letter word so she keeps saying yes. 

She silently agreed with Janis that Saint should have been their Moon representative. All the girls in their class think Saint's the best-looking male freshman with his radiant peaches and cream complexion, eyes that are mysterious and lips that should have been patented by Revlon. 

Prae sighed as she looked over at Saint who was talking on his cellphone while pacing under a tree, just a few meters away from the cafeteria. Beside her elbow, Saint's half-eaten lunch was getting cold.

"Hey, girls!"

Cass and Janis broke into huge smiles. Prae turned around and saw Yihwa and Zee walking towards them. As usual, Yihwa strutted like she's on a catwalk. Prae wondered whether she should ask for her help with the Star competition. Zee walked slightly behind her, looking hot but aloof.

"Hi, Phi!"

Janis moved to give Yihwa her chair so Yihwa would sit between her and Cass. Zee stood awkwardly, his eyes roaming around the cafeteria.

Yihwa sat down between Cass and Janis, looking up at Zee with an impish grin.

"Sit!" Yihwa pointed to the empty seat across Cass.

Zee's eyes continue to sweep around the cafeteria before reluctantly sitting down where Yihwa indicated.

"Have you eaten, Phi?" Cass directed the question both to Yihwa and her brother.

"Yup, we had an early lunch," Yihwa confirmed. "Where's Saint?"

Cass ate the last spoonful of her lunch before pointing to where Saint was still talking and pacing.

Yihwa and Zee turned their head towards the direction where Cass's finger pointed. Both were quietly observing Saint while Janis and Prae finished their own lunch.

"Dear lord, I'm getting a headache watching him walk around in circles," Yihwa complained, giving her attention back to her juniors. "Who is he talking to?"

The girls shrugged. They didn't have a clue. Zee continued watching Saint while the girls talked in the background. When Saint finally ended the call, Zee quickly turned and pretended to join the conversation with the girls.

"Oh, hey, Phi," Saint clasped his hands and bowed his head to greet Yihwa and Zee. Saint sat down between Prae and Zee and continued eating his lunch.

"Have you eaten lunch?" he belatedly asked Zee and Yihwa after swallowing a mouthful of rice.

"We're good," Zee assured Saint.