Dr. Chen

Cass was having second thoughts. Actually, she was having fifth and sixth thoughts already. She started to doubt her decision to accompany Janis the moment they arrived at the Nana Plaza area. The signs were disturbing and the people around looked suspicious, especially the foreigners. The foreigners were mostly old men, the phrase dirty old man couldn't be any truer. Some had tattoos like they were Yakuza rejects. The local girls loitering outside of the bars looked like they were wearing lingeries instead of dresses. One girl stared at her with an expression that seemed like she was asking, "You lost, bitch?"

Cass ducked her head, not wanting to seem like she was challenging her. She tightened her grip on Janis's hand. Janis was busy looking for the bar where her "boyfriend" was playing. When she and Prae accompanied Janis last Wednesday for her first meeting and lunch date with King. 

King is admittedly a very handsome guy. He is tall, muscled and fair like he has some Caucasian blood running through his veins. But more than his looks is the way he carries himself and Cass is certain that is the reason Janis fell head over heels with him. King is the kind of guy that can melt you into a puddle of goo with just his heated stare. There is an air of mystery and danger around him.

King had brought a couple of his friends with him during the lunch date. He said they were also his band members. King is the vocalist while his friends, Park and Khom, are the drummer and the lead guitarist. Cass admits that she was attracted to Park when she met him because he was friendly and smiled easily. Prae looked uncomfortable as Khom stared silently at her. Yeah, Khom was kind of creepy.

Cass suddenly had a feeling like they were being followed. When she looked around, her eyes met those of a man with a tattoo on the side of his neck. He was drinking outside one of the bars with what looked like his posse. He stared at her while licking his lips obscenely, making Cass gasp in fear.

"Jan, I think..."

"Found it!" Janis's voice was filled with excitement. "Let's go inside!"

Without waiting for her response, Janis dragged Cass inside Rainbow 4. It seemed darker inside but as they walked towards the middle of the bar, their eyes were able to adjust and they could see better. The bar smelled funky, like somebody bombed the place with an air freshener to try to cover up the scent of alcohol and bodily fluids. Both Janis and Cass saw King and his band setting up their equipment on the corner of the bar. Cass knew Janis was about to pull her along when two large hands suddenly grabbed hers and Janis's wrists.  

"Let's get out of here."  The command was unmistakable.

Cass felt her heart was about to explode from fright but when she was able to take a good look on the man holding their wrists, she felt immensely relieved.

"Saint!"

"Come on!" Saint put each of his arms around Cass's and Janis's shoulders and guided them towards the exit.

"But-" Janis started to protest.

"No! Let's go!"

Cass strongly agreed with Saint even if he hadn't used such a forceful voice. They tottered on their heels as Saint marched them both outside. Cass exhaled loudly when Bangkok's humid air hit her face. Saint didn't stop walking so Cass obediently followed him. Janis almost stumbled because she kept wanting to go back. Saint let go of Cass in order to catch Janis before she fell on her face. When Janis was upright again, Saint held both their hands and continued walking. Cass clutched his hand gratefully. She saw some guys frowning at them and they looked menacing, one of them was Neck Tattoo. She moved closer to Saint. Finally, they reached the edge of the main road where a lot of vehicles were passing by. Saint then let go of their hands and started pacing on the sidewalk.