♠♥♦♣ Engaged ♠♥♦♣

♠♥♦♣
Engaged
♠♥♦♣

Viktoria looked down at the gleaming sapphire engagement ring she now wore on the third finger of her left hand. In three more months, I would become Mrs. Konstantin Romanov. she thought to herself bitterly. She looked up, startled, as the man of her thoughts gripped her elbow tightly in one of his hands.

"Come on, woman! My mother wants you at the Hotel for the fitting." he hissed into her ear.

Viktoria blinked her eyes at him in confusion. The fitting? she thought, her mind drawing a blank. Then it dawned on her suddenly, the fitting of the wedding gown. She sighed quietly as Konstantin led her to the car. She climbed inside and he slammed the door behind her, making her jump, startled.

Viktoria watched as he crossed around the front of the car and slid into the driver's seat. Konstantin jerked hard on the steering wheel after he started the engine, nearly crashing them into the oncoming car. The driver of the car honked at them angrily in retaliation. Konstantin gave the other man a dirty look and continued to drive down the road. Viktoria grasped at the edges of her seat, her heart hammering inside her chest. She glanced over at him and saw that he was staring straight ahead, his jaw locked in anger.

What is his problem? They soon arrived at the Vasiliev Hotel in thirty minutes flat. Konstantin swore suddenly underneath his breath and she glanced curiously at him before looking around for the source of his ire. A black, American made car was parked in front of the building and she wondered if that was what had brought on his sudden anger. They climbed out of the car and he took her arm once again.

He led her towards the small staircase leading up to the entrance of the Hotel. The door opened and Lazar Maksimov, Mr. Romanov's assistant, led them inside the grand building.

"Take her up to Mother while I speak to my brother," Konstantin ordered Maksimov, his voice dark with anger.

Maksimov took Viktoria by the arm and led her through the entrance hall and into a series of back hallways. Before she turned the corner leading from the entrance hall, she twisted her around and watched as Konstantin walked into the sitting area off the entrance. Brother? I didn't know he had a brother. she thought to herself in bewilderment. She looked at Maksimov, who was walking down another long hallway a few paces ahead of her.

"Maksimov?" Viktoria spoke quietly, testing the situation. His head turned slightly, cocking his ear back towards her. She cleared her throat quietly, nervously anticipating his answer. "Who is Konstantin's brother exactly?" she asked quickly.

Maksimov stopped suddenly and turned around to face her. She stopped walking also, to avoid walking into his towering frame and looked up at him curiously. He scrutinized her briefly, his face expressionless as if debating with himself on telling her what she wanted to know.

"Master Sevastian is Master Konstantin's older half-brother. His mother was Anastasia Sevastianova-Romanov. She died in childbirth many years ago." He informed her.