Chapter 21: Tear His Arms Off

Sleeping alone was a difficult adjustment. Though it wasn't every night that we slept next to each other, both of us appreciating that we needed space sometimes to be on our own, it was a regular enough occurrence for me to miss it.

Some nights we would just be hanging out, talking, or reading next to each other and just pass out wherever we were, in bed, on the couch, on the floor even. Other nights, we would just lie together and enjoy each other's company, the closeness, and sometimes we would have sex and simply be far too lazy to move afterward, Blade especially. But sometimes...

Sometimes it was the nightmares.

I'd wake up in the middle of the night, terrified that I hadn't escaped, that Aros still had me locked away, experimenting on me, that Blade was truly dead and gone this time, that we hadn't saved him, and I would go to Blade's room to reassure myself it was just a nightmare. If it was a really bad night I'd knock and wake him and he would keep me company till I fell asleep. On other nights, I would slip in quietly, and lie next to him, reminding myself that it was truly over because he was here with me, and so long as he was here, everything was going to be okay.

Blade suffered from nightmares too, the torture he had been under, my betrayal being real, losing me forever. Many nights I'd wake up to find him next to me, sleeping restlessly or simply staring at the ceiling, too rattled to sleep. It was clear to both of us, without ever needing to say a word, that no matter what happened, we would be there for each other in times like that, even if we were in a fight or needed some time alone or if we were asleep or whatever the reason, we would put whatever it was aside to reassure the other and support them until the fear went away.

As time passed, the nightmares became less frequent, we didn't have to keep suffering through this pain again and again, and the wounds began to heal.

But sometimes, they crept back in.

For the first time in two months, I woke up screaming, face tear stained, having found Blade beaten and dead on the floor of his cell, stake firmly planted between his ribs, having gotten there too late to save him.

And for the first time ever, he wasn't here when I woke up.

Instead, I woke to a room just like my original prison, instead of my home. I couldn't feel him through our bond and he was nowhere to be found. No matter what, I could always count on him to be nearby if I needed him, to be around and reassure me that this was real, that we had escaped. At the very least, feeling him through our bond, even from the next room over, was enough to remind me that he was alive and he was with me. 

But he wasn't here and I was stuck in this place haunted by memories, with no escape because there was simply no place else for me to go.

My door whipped open so fast I jumped in terror, which only grew worse when Loren came through, red eyes glittering in the dark. "What's going on?"

It was so painfully familiar, far too real. Maybe I was wrong, maybe this time I hadn't woken up from my nightmare, maybe this time I'd woken up from a dream to end up right back where I started. Maybe Blade really was gone and I'd only imagined the escape, imagined us making it out alive-

"Kiana? What happened?" Loren asked, staying put. "Is there someone here?"

Behind him came Ace, barefoot and rumpled as he rushed in, a robe hastily thrown on, tied but crooked, revealing more of his bare chest than its intended purpose was meant for. "What's going on?"

"I'm so sorry," I said shakily, wiping my wet face with trembling hands. "It was just a nightmare. Everything's fine, I didn't mean to scare you."

They exchanged a glance, but Loren relaxed only slightly. "Are you sure?"