Chapter 68: Break

I decided no, I didn't want to be alone after all. Sure I was numb and shaky, but since I had yet to start crying, I considered that a win. Though it did seem inevitable.

I could still be wrong, just because she had her ring didn't mean they were engaged or married again, maybe he just gave it back to her because it was rightfully hers, like he'd tried to give mine back. It didn't mean anything at all. Couldn't. So my breakdown could wait. Maybe I'd find out I was wrong and freaked out for nothing.

Ace sat across from me at my tiny excuse for a dining room table in my tiny excuse of an apartment since Eliza had seamlessly taken over my original place apparently and--

Nope. 

He didn't seem bothered by my mood, had yet to pester me with questions besides a cautious 'what's up?' when I opened the door and he saw my face, and instead was busying himself by petting Mazey as she snoozed in his lap. 

I sipped some water, but my mouth was still dry, and I had to clear my throat before I could find my voice to speak.

"Ace...can I ask you a question?"

He looked up. "Of course."

"Without you telling anyone about it, especially Lexi?"

"Of course."

"And without any judgement?"

A slight eyebrow raise now, like he was surprised I even had to ask, but nonetheless he reiterated his 'of course'.

When I didn't say anything, he nudged me under the table with his foot. "Was that some sort of test or are you actually going to ask me something so that I can keep it a secret and not judge you for it?"

"Just out of pure hypothetical curiosity," I started, "I asked you once, ages ago, about vamps who could remove a bond?"

As I asked, he kept his face in that same expression of earnest attention and curiosity but he twitched, ever so slightly, and I knew I'd thrown him.

"That's not my question. I'm not asking for you to find someone, I'm just...how does it work? When we got bonded we had to cut each other and..." my heart stuttered in my chest over the memory, over the question I was asking. It felt like a betrayal, even though all I wanted was information, was just curious, as I had said. Dante's words kept haunting me and I felt like I would never be able to stop thinking about it unless I actually knew what it entailed. Breaking our bond was a large, but completely foreign concept. "I guess I just want to know what happens. If it's going to--if it would hurt."

He swallowed, hands coming to clasp in front of him, fingers twining together like he was praying, but otherwise, he kept his face neutral. "I won't lie to you, it's not always pleasant. It depends on the bond, the people...but if both parties are willing, it's not too bad."

"If they aren't? Or one isn't?" 

"The pain is only temporary. Usually."

I clutched the table edge. His eyes darted at the move and I relaxed my grip. It was fine. I was just asking. So if the time came, I had the information, wasn't walking in blind. Like asking for the risks of a medical procedure, it was smart to know your odds and the possible side effects, so you could prepare for any and all outcomes, weigh your options, make arrangements, figure out what the best course of action was.

"How does it work though? What would we have to do?"

Usually so quick with a smart reply, it didn't bode well when he was silent, choosing his words and probably debating just how much of my questions were purely curiosity and how much were more serious.