Chapter 29: How Embarrassing

Blade POV

"Wake up you insufferable selfish dick," a voice said, cutting through my haze. Something grabbed the front of my shirt and hoisted me into the air. I flailed, hands flying to my chest to whatever grabbed me. "Get up now, Blade, I mean it."

My eyes cracked open, making out Ace's furious face two inches from mine amidst the spots in my vision. I jerked in surprise but he had me by the front of the shirt and I didn't go anywhere.

"What are you doing here?" I mumbled. Perhaps this was yet another outlandish dream. Or in this case, nightmare.

"What am I-?" He barked out a laugh, shaking me roughly. "Kiana collapsed at work. The paramedics came for her."

Any last bit of sleepiness immediately evaporated. "What?"

He tossed me onto the bed with enough force that I went tumbling right off the other end. Before I could so much as scramble to my feet he had me by the shirt again, roughly yanking me into a standing position.

"She fell apart because of the distance and she collapsed. She was having hallucinations and everything. The hospital almost took her but luckily I was able to grab her before that happened."

"Is she okay? Where is she?"

"What do you mean where is she? She's literally in her room right now!" He snapped, shaking me. "What the fuck is wrong with you? Are you so far gone you cant even feel her through your bond?"

"Is she okay?" I repeated, not really giving two shits about him right now, not it when it felt like someone had their hand around my throat, squeezing the air from my lungs. How could she have fallen apart already?

"Jordan took a look at her, but he's not happy with her condition. She passed out again on the way here too. She's not doing good, you pushed her too far and it's going to be hard for her to recover from this," he said, releasing me and looking at me with disgust. "I told you to figure your shit out, she doesn't deserve this. I warned you and you didn't listen; now she's paying for it. Are you happy?"

I shoved him out of the way, or tried too, but couldn't quite muster the strength. He moved anyway and I stumbled to the door, hitting my knees before I was up again, yanking it open and using the stone wall to remain upright on the way to her room, Ace following behind.

"If you end up killing her-"

"Shut up," I growled, shaking my head to dispel the dark spots in my vision as I entered her room, sudden movement and panic making me dizzy. She was lying in her bed, the room darker than ever, I could hardly make her out as my eyes adjusted to the shadows. Jordan had her hooked up to some kind of IV and she was lying flat on her back, dark circles around her eyes, her skin shiny with sweat. Her tattoo had a thick red rim around it, breaking off to leech up her arm like bloody spider webs, winding up to her shoulder, disappearing under her t-shirt.

"Fuck," I breathed, eyes stinging at the sight. I did this to her. She gave me space like I had asked and she was dying for it.

"I don't care if you want to be with Kiana or Eliza, that's your business, but when you put her life at risk..." Ace said, voice quiet not to disturb her but all the more deadly.

"Enough," I said, touching her tattoo with a fingertip. Her skin was burning hot and slick with sweat, but some of the tension seemed to leave her, chest falling with a heavier exhale.

We stayed there for hours in silence with her. I was so tired, so sick and feverish, all I wanted to do was pass out, but I couldn't sleep knowing she was like this, I needed to be able to keep an eye on her, make sure if she needed anything I'd be there.