Chapter 49: Magic

"Absolutely not," Mick said, yanking the plain t-shirt out of my hands and putting it back on the shelf. I was making good on my promise to Mick to hang out and go shopping, especially as I wanted something new for the concert Friday, but it was proving to be even more grueling and difficult than I thought, despite my attempt at being more optimistic when it came to shopping. "What happened to 'new clothes, new me, new everything'? That's literally exactly what you always wear."

"What's wrong with a plain t-shirt?" I protested.

"Nothing," Katie assured me from her spot at the rack, a few cute sundresses already slung over her arm, having found several appealing articles no problem. "What Mick means is...maybe its time to try something new? Wasn't that the point?"

I folded my arms over my chest with a sigh. I wanted to try something new, I just wasn't sure what. Nothing seemed to suit me and I wasn't exactly the most fashion forward person so I had no idea where to start. Shopping had sounded fun in theory, even more so the idea of finding outfits that would make me look and feel hot as hell, but as usual, when I showed up I could feel how frustrated and bored I already was, though I was making an effort to try anyway.

"What about this?" Mick said, holding up a cute white dress with a fitted bodice and a poofy skirt. Definitely girlier than I was used too.

"I don't know..." I hedged.

"Doesn't hurt to try right? You might end up liking it," Katie said. "I think it'll look really good on you."

"If it doesn't, I'll be the first to point it out and we can pretend it never happened," Mick said, holding it out to me.

A second of consideration and then I caved and took it. "Fine. I'll try it but no guarantees. And I still need something for the concert Friday."

"Oh yes," Katie said excitedly. "What kind of look were you going for?"

"I...I'm not sure," I admitted. Hot enough for Abby to notice but not like I was trying too hard? Like I wanted to feel cool and sexy and get attention but like...casual. What did that look like? And how could I explain that without explaining the reason behind it? Mick hadn't been there for the whole drunken-Abby-Lexi moment and I really didn't want to have explain that situation while sober. Not that Mick would judge me, but still. My brain was still reeling.

"Okay, it's a club, right? So probably nothing fancy or dressy," Mick said, exploring the racks.

I joined him, listening to him and Katie muse over possible outfit combos for me and themselves.

Plaid shirts, jeans, patterned shirts--hmmm, this wasn't half bad. A black tank top of a slinky soft material, with a sweetheart neckline (as Katie had explained to me earlier) and thin straps crossing over the chest part in an X.

"You would look super hot in that," Mick said, appearing at my shoulder like me finding a nice shirt that wasn't my usual look had automatically summoned him.

"You think?" It was simple and understated, but a definite step up from my usual t-shirt and jeans aesthetic.

"Definitely," Katie agreed. "Maybe add a choker to accessorize and match? With black jeans? It'll look simple but very sleek and sexy." Then she gave me a very pointed look like she knew exactly why I was making an effort to find a nice outfit for the concert and that this would be the winning look I had been searching for. 

"Hair up or down?" Mick mused, saving me from the moment, both of them staring at me now, as if trying to imagine the look on me.

"Um, it's summer and it's hot. So probably up?" I said, throwing in my two cents even though I'd already told them I was putting myself in their capable hands.