Chapter 79: Rain

Waking up the next morning, I felt as heavy and lazy as a slug. Last night's crippling heat, partying, minor clean-up and then consequent crashing into bed after the quickest bare minimum shower to get the sweat and grass off, had me dead to the world for twelve straight hours. It also had me wishing I could be dead to the world for another twelve hours. Or at least until I had to fly home.

My bed was so comfortable, the air-conditioning keeping my room perfectly fresh and cozy, and the thought of leaving the comfort of my room again for who knew how long left me bittersweet. Even if my mom had already left for her honeymoon, this was still home, and I had no idea when I'd be able to come back. Maybe Christmas, if I could afford it, but that seemed so far away.

As much as I wanted to lounge in my bedroom all day, hide in the comfort of my childhood, which given the overcast skies made it the perfect weather to do so, I couldn't. Though it was brutally tempting, I had promised Mom that I would clean up the house and the backyard, as they had already left for their honeymoon at some god forsaken hour this morning.

So with little choice, I got up, dragging my heavy body out of my cozy nest of sheets and pillows, stepping past where I'd tossed my sweat soaked dress in a wrinkled heap on the floor last night, and got ready for the day, already feeling the ache in my ankle from yesterday's shoes and the fact that I hadn't fully healed. My hair was a disaster and I still had remnants of last night's makeup on, so I devoted my effort to scrubbing my face properly clean until it was pink from the effort, and scraped my hair into a low ponytail. I'd wash it when I got home tomorrow because I could not be bothered to deal today. Or maybe if being alone with Blade proved to be too much, I'd bow out under the excuse of needing to shower.

For the first time all week, the house was unnaturally quiet in the morning. Andrew had been dropped off at doggy day care already so Blade and I were well and truly alone for the first time since he'd spent the night in my apartment. Though from how quiet it was, I was honestly hoping he had already left, despite knowing his plane ride home was the same as mine and the fact that I could feel his presence in the house.

One more day. That was it. I could do it.

Knowing there was an end to this awkwardness, this confusing mess of emotions, was enough to propel me out of my room and downstairs for breakfast, tiptoeing around so I wouldn't wake Blade up and be stuck with him for longer than necessary.

Evidently, it was a wasted effort. Guess who was already sitting in the kitchen?

"'Morning," he said, glancing up from his phone. The kettle was already on, a mug next to it already prepared the way I liked it, presumably since he'd heard me get up as I sluggishly got ready for the day. Hmm.

"Goodmorning," I said tentatively. If I had to guess how this day was going to go, well, honestly, I didn't have a clue. But so far, so good. "Didn't know you were up."

He shrugged, but didn't say anything, so I went to make breakfast. Nothing inspired, I was far too lazy and didn't want to prolong my time in the kitchen if I could help it, so toast and a banana was going to have to do for now. The kettle clicked off once my toast was in, so I worked on finishing my prepared coffee.

"Thank you," I said. Things might have gotten better this week, but last night had only left me feeling more uncertain, more confused by his entire existence and presence here, and now I felt as uncomfortable as the first day we arrived without Mom and Peter to act as buffers. But it was still nice of him, and as long as he continued to be polite, I would too.

"No problem."

"Have you hunted?" Maybe that would get him out of the house for a while. I was only delaying the inevitable, we had to talk about our situation, but even after all this I was still a coward. I also didn't want to face making the situation worse, so much so that the rest of the day and the flight home would be unbearable. Not many places to avoid him on an airplane after all.