28

Two Months Later

You tightened your coat around you with your free hand as you walked towards your building, shielding your body from the chilly November winds, the cardboard coffee cup holder occupied by your other hand, providing a slither of warmth.

A black coffee for Harry and a mocha for you. That hadn't changed.

The warmth of the building enveloped your cold frame and you sighed in relief at the feeling. The ride up in the elevator was slow as usual, but then before you knew it you were walking past Phoebe to your desk giving her a small wave as you did so. Once you'd actually gotten to know her a bit more, she was much friendlier than the initial impression you'd had of her.

You placed your bag down by your desk, your coat being draped over the back of your chair afterwards before grabbing the coffees and walking towards Harry's office.

As was routine, you tapped lightly before making your way into his room, opening the door with one hand and pushing it with your back to make enough room for you to slip inside. That hadn't changed either.

"Morning Cecelia," Harry greeted you as you walked towards him, running his hands over his tired face.

"Good morning, here you go," you placed the coffee in front of him as he yawned and stretched his arms above his head, like a cat spreading out in the afternoon sun.

"Ah, thank you, this is definitely needed," He took a hasty sip before you could warn him of how hot the liquid still was, "Ooh, hot."

You laughed lightly, "I was about to warn you I promise...busy morning already?"

"Yeah, all the execs are on my back at the minute, even though I'm doing my job just fine. I'm not surprised, it's coming up to Christmas and it's always busy this time with award shows, Christmas singles, TV and radio specials...the list goes on."

You nodded along in understanding, already knowing what Harry was bound to say. There was no doubt you still loved your job, but things had been crazy recently; when all the artists were wanting to do different things at the same time it became very hectic. For example, Niall was gearing up for the American Music Awards in a few weeks, so it meant organising interviews and promoting his album again in the run-up. But then on the other hand, a newer artist, Zayn Malik, was in the preparation stages of his debut album, so figuring out his time in the studio, meetings with Harry and listening to demos meant he was at a completely different stage compared to Niall. Overall, this meant that every day you had no idea what end of the scale you'd be working with.

"Well, wherever I'm needed let me know. All I've got scheduled in for today is a hundred and one phone calls and emails so I can stop and help if needed."

"Perfect, thank you, I'll see you at lunch?" That hadn't changed either.

"Of course," you smiled warmly. Before you could say any more, Harry's phone was ringing which you took as your cue to leave.

He smiled back at you apologetically before picking up the receiver and tucking it under his ear. You made your way out quietly, shutting the door behind you as softly as you could manage before sitting at your desk and logging into your computer.

While the screen began to load up, you gazed at the sad looking empty flower vase that sat atop your desk. Harry hadn't replaced the peonies in a few months. That was something that had changed.

You sighed softly. It had been two months and you still felt the guilt twist in your heart every so often from the smallest, seemingly irrelevant reminders. After your drunken fight and harsh words, you and Harry had sat down a few days later while the dust settled and decided the only way to move forward was to be friends - nothing more, nothing less.