Chapter 42

I am with Joshua when Lara arrives. 'Good morning love birds, you two are up early today.' she says, her voice filled with enthusiasm.

I am astounded at the fact that none of the nurses here seem to have a morning mood once again.

Joshua apparently has the same thought. 'Why is everyone here so excited, this early in the morning?'

'Everyone becomes happy when they see you two.' Lara says. 'I mean, Jayshua is among the most popular ships in the hospital.'

'Wow what the heck, you have ships here?'

'Duh! That's the best part of being a nurse.' Lara says. 'There's a lot of beautiful ships that start or blossom in the hospital. Look at yours for example. If that accident had never happened, you two might have gone your seperate ways again. Also, some of these love stories are so romantic. I mean, like a guy saving another guy from a car crash, risking his life, and the other guy takes care of him with such devotion that he is unwilling to leave his side for nine full days-'

'Shut up...' I mumble. Joshua is blushing as well.

'So, there's other ships as well?' I ask, to distract her from "Jayshua".

'Oh heck yeah!' Lara says. 'The more ships, the more fun. We ship everything. There's this terminally ill old woman and her husband, who has difficulties walking, comes here by bike everyday, cycling ten kilometres. We have the man with cancer whose friend is suffering from depression, and despite his illness, he keeps encouraging him. And we have our own Jack and Rose, but well, we just ship them because of their names. They are a couple. And then there's another long-term patient, the tomboy who let you borrow her binder. She's actually dating a guy, but he's a mess. Actually, it's pretty obvious he likes his best friend, but it's a case of internalized homophobia, if you get me. Anyway, she knows, and is waiting for him to realize it himself. I think that is kind of sweet and selfless. He doesn't even visit her everyday, but his sister does. She is really devoted and energetic. Also a fujoshi. I stan her, to be honest. So well, because of his sister, she manages to stay optimistic and yes, I ship the heck outta them.'

I blink, a bit overwhelmed.

'Sixty percent of your ships is gay.' Joshua states.

Lara shrugs. 'Fujoshi life. I think 90% of my ships is gay. There's much more, there's also people who met each other in the hospital for example.'

'Actually, I can kinda relate.' I say. 'I tend to look around for ships too. Like in church. They are probably nothing, but the sermon is so hecking boring that I would die if I didn't have some ships to ship. Oh by the way, did I ever mention that Lars and you look kinda cute together?'

'Actually, Lars is my brother.' Lara says.

'Oh.' I blush. 'Well, um...'

'Ahem.' Lars comes walking through the door, in casual clothes. Say it right, sis. We're not related by blood. We're stepbrother and -sister.'

'Lars, what the heck are you doing? You're off-duty!' Lara exclaims.

'Well, it's a special day, right Joshua?'

I gasp. Did I just forget that?

'My birthday..?' Joshua asks in confusion.

'No sweety, two more weeks to go for that.' I laugh. 

'Today is the day where you can finally do some more than laying down like a stiff plank!' Lara announces.

'Oh, are the three weeks over already?' Joshua seems truly surprised. 'I completely lost track of time.'

'We are gonna start easily.' Lara says. 'For today, the only thing we are going to try is sitting up.'

'Still great. Do you have any idea how irritating it is to type while laying on your back? I have dropped my phone on my face a hundred times, I think.' 

I chuckle quietly because I can see it.

'Don't laugh at me!' Joshua whines. 

It's harder for Joshua than I thought, sitting up. Even though it was just sitting up with help and not yet alone, his back hurt a lot. He almost wanted to give up several times, but after a short break we tried again.

But when he succeeds at once, his smile is so bright that I, without thinking twice, kiss his lips shortly before hugging him.

After that, I realize what I did and turn away with a burning face, while Lara obviously tries to not scream on top of her lungs that Jayshua is "soooooo real!!!"

***

Word count: 738

***

At this point, I am just procrastinating my thinking about school. Ugh.

Septuple update. Imma stop.