I turn in my seat at the persistent knock at my door, "sorry Mark, I have to go."

"If it's Ethan, give him a big kiss from me."

I roll my eyes, "bye, send my love to everybody."

"Will do, byeeeee."

I slam my laptop shut as the knocking begins again. Reaching my door in a hurry, I open it and find Sophie standing with her arm braced on the doorframe. Her chic blue maxidress sways in the warm breeze while the large white-rimmed sunglasses that take up her entire face shield her from the strong afternoon sun. Her usual perfectly styled bob is absent, instead, a messy bun sits at the top of her head.

"Hello sunshine," I say with a warm smile.

Without a word, she pushes past me and through to the living area. She theatrically drops onto the couch, lays on her back and drapes an arm over her head.

I stifle a laugh when she groans, "please, come in, Sophie."

I get another groan in response.

"How are you, this morning?" I turn my back to her, hiding my amused grin as I shut the door.

"I'd be better if you stopped yelling."

Her very hungover state has me laughing. Sitting in the armchair opposite her, I narrow my eyes in question, "what happened when I left you last night?"

"I have no memory. But I woke up today filled with regret," she sits up to face me, grimacing at the movement.

"Classic Sophie." I continue despite her unamused expression, "when we got back from the airport, I went straight to bed and enjoyed a restful night's sleep. I woke just before noon, ordered a big breakfast of eggs, Portuguese sausage, and rice."

"If you're trying to make me puke, it's working."

My grin drops at the slam of Ethan's door.

Sophie places her sunglasses atop her head, "how's your neighbor?"

"I haven't seen him since our chat yesterday."

"I gave Liam a piece of my mind for pairing you up like that. We made a promise and he still went ahead and intervened-"

"Soph- it's fine. We had a much-needed conversation and we know where we stand with each other now. I think we can keep things neutral for our last few days together."

"Neutral is not a word I would personally use to describe your relationship with Ethan," she ignores my frown and continues, "but I'm glad to hear it." Her attention shifts down to her lap, maintaining eye contact has suddenly become difficult. "Char- are you sure that there's no chance for the two of you?"

"Absolutely none," I say with certainty.

"Got it! I won't ask again." The way she scrunches her face tells me she does not get it.

"Sophie, whatever it is you want to say, just say it."

"Liam and I hoped to repay the favor from all those years ago." She reaches over the small brass table and grabs my hand, "we just want you to be happy. We always thought your happiness was with Ethan."

I instinctively think back to my happiest moment. The memory brings tears to my eyes.

*************************

THEN

"Charlotte, get out of the taxi."

I frown at Ethan, "Xu's is two blocks away. Why have we stopped so far from the restaurant?"