Chapter 11

"Hold up!" Minghao ran to Junhui. "It was you, right?"
Junhui looked down and nodded, bracing himself for an outburst. But instead felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up, confused. Minghao had pulled his mask down and was smiling. "Thank you."
A thousands of flutters erupted in his heart at that moment. His smile was beautiful! "What do you mean?"
"Uh..." he looked away, removing his hands, "I'm sorry for being a bitch to you, earlier..." he hesitated.
"Is there something you wanna say?"

Minghao nodded, "I plan to... leave the mafia."
"Huh?" Junhui stared. What was going on? Did he hear him right?
"I don't know why I'm telling this to you. But I just thought that you... you know, needed to know."
"Why?"
Minghao stared at him nervously, "I-have realised... what a monster I am. And I don't want to continue being one... you have actually drilled some sense into me."

Junhui stared. He was being genuine. His voice, his eyes, his persona, everything was being genuine.

"I decided to start doing charity work and community service instead." He was fumbling with his fingers. "There is nothing I can do to make things right for the people I've wronged... but I want to help society now. I just... can't do it anymore... Anyway! I'll leave now! Bye!" he hurriedly turned around.

"Wait there!" Junhui called, "Um... I wanted to... ask you something." Was he really talking to Minghao?
"What?"
"Um... why did you... join the mafia in the first place?"
"I-" Minghao stuttered. Was all this actually happening? "This is not the place, you know?" he said awkwardly.
"Then we can... go somewhere. I know a good place." He smiled lightly.
Minghao blinked, surprised, but then smiled back.

They were sitting face to face at a coffee shop. They were looking down at the table, hesitant to make eye contact. The atmosphere was awkward, but oddly comfortable.

"So..." Minghao started, looking around, his voice low, "It went like this. I was born in Anshan, China, in a very poor family. I don't remember knowing anything about my dad. I lived with my mom. From what I understood, I was not wanted. I have a brother and a sister, who I have no clue about. I just have... a faint memory."

"Since I never got any attention, I was usually roaming out and alone. And you know slums? To survive there, you gotta do anything! Like, anything!" he emphasized, gesturing with his hands, "I would have to steal to get my share of food and water. And also to get myself new clothes, you know?" he looked at Junhui.

"I was probably one of the best as one day a person came to me and gave me an offer. He said he'd take me to South Korea where I could work for his people and earn. As a poor kid, the thought of money made me jump. I agreed."

"How old were you?" Junhui asked, disbelief in his voice.

"Thir-teen? I think? It was around that."

Junhui shut his eyes and held his temples.

"So, I came here. I don't remember how. I just know I puked like, five times on the plane. But that man dealt with me very patiently. I was surprised!"

"Then I came here and was taught to fight, kill and use a gun. I- first- killed when I was... 14." He looked down, regret written all over his face. "And then... it just went on like that. We were hired by people or organisations and we did what we were told. I- earned a lot of money that way... Yeah."

Junhui stared at him, taking a moment for everything to sink in. "Oh!" he said finding his voice back.

"Hmm." He nodded.

They sat in nervous silence.

"So," Minghao got up, "I kinda have to go now... I had to talk to my boss... bye! Stay safe."
Junhui waved, "Bye-bye! See you later I guess?"
Minghao looked at him, surprised. Then nodded and went away, smiling to himself. Junhui sat there. He didn't know what he was doing. But perhaps he wanted to try. 

A/N: This book is coming to an end. I'm honestly quite excited for it.