Chapter 9

"That was a fuckin disaster!" Chan banged his fist on the table, "They caught five! Five of our men!"

They were at their base, analyzing their mission, which had terribly failed.

"I swear if one of them opens their mouths, we're dead!"
"I've informed Jangmin about this." Sungcheol said putting a hand on Chan's shoulder, "He'll free them by this evening."
"Even though we failed?"
"We have caused a lot of damage to property. He's pretty satisfied."
"Oh God! I hope! It would be better if we held hostages though. What made you evacuate the mall?"
"Minghao." Minghao had slightly smiled. He was able to prevent bloodshed. Very unlike him.
"Why?"
"I wanted to play safe from the start. The mall owner is more influential than Jangmin."

Chan then looked at Minghao, "What up, hyung? You've been acting... different."
Minghao brushed his hair back and sighed, "It's nothing."
"Tell us."
"It's really nothing, Chan. Anyway, how's things going between her and you?"

Chan smiled shyly. He had found his soulmate two days ago, "Yeah... we're fine."
Minghao smiled, but nonetheless wondered who this girl was, and how long would it take her to find out Chan's real identity. And he really hoped, that Chan would get his shit straight in time. He was only 17 anyway.

Wait- what did he mean by getting shit straight? What did he want him to do? What was happening to him nowadays?

"So? What are you going to do if she finds out?"
Chan stared at him because of the blunt question, "I- I don't know."
"Well whatever you do, don't throw her off the bridge."
"Hyung!"
"I said nothing! I'll just go out on a walk. Bye-bye!"

Minghao left. It was 3pm. Junhui's classes would've ended by now. He had seen him last week. He just had to look at him after what happened. He stood outside the campus gates watching people come and go.

Then, he came out. Minghao stiffened and watched him walk. He had his hands in his pockets and was wearing earphones. He looked distressed. Of course he was.

Minghao felt an ache go through him. He couldn't look at Junhui like this. Neither could he do something about it. He turned and left. He hoped that Junhui never had to see him again.

Junhui looked around and his eyes fell on Minghao. What was he doing here? He watched him turn and leave and went behind him. He didn't know why he was going behind him, but he was curious. He wanted to know more about him.

He took his earphones off and followed him, cautiously. Minghao entered an alley. What's with the underworld taking such scary routes?

Then, from a turning in front of him, another guy emerged. He was... holding a gun!?

"Junhui! Leave immediately." His mind was screaming, but his legs were taking him forward. Who was this?

"Yes boss!" he heard him say, "The8 is here. Right in front of me."

Minghao was The8?

"Yes. Coast clear boss. Today is his last day."

Junhui's eyes widened. What was he talking about? Minghao... he wasn't going to kill him, right? His wrist started to hurt. He had heard when their soulmate was in trouble, their wrist hurt.

Minghao couldn't die!

The person in front of him raised the gun and pointed it at Minghao.

No no no! Minghao couldn't die! He pulled his mask up and looked beside him and saw a metal rod. This should do.

The guy tilted his head and clutched the gun properly.

This was it! Junhui lunged forward and swung the rod harshly. The metal hit the man's head making a sickening crack sound. The man gasped and then yelled loudly, holding onto his head. Junhui dropped the rod and stepped back.

Blood was flowing like tap water down his head and the smell was revolting. His surroundings started to blur as the man fell to his feet. There was a lump in his throat and his head hurt. What had he just done?!

"HEY!" he came back to reality as a hand harshly gripped his arm and a gun was pressed against his temple. He was surrounded. By two hitmen.

"What do you think you're doing?"
"Who are you?"

"HEY!" Minghao shouted and Junhui felt like he was saved, "Leave him."

"Why should we, The8?"

"Because you need me. Not him." he was trying hard not to panic. Every move had to be calculated perfectly. Or Junhui might lose his life.

One of the men walked forward, pointing the gun, "Pen drive! Give me the pen drive and I leave him."

Minghao took a pen drive out of his pocket, "Take it."

"Hand it over!"

Minghao shook his head, "Leave him first."

"He seems like a person you care about a lot. If you want his well-being, give it."

Minghao gulped and grit his teeth. What was he to do?

Junhui looked beside him. The man was holding a gun to his temple, but his attention wasn't on him. Maybe he could... do something... but he couldn't. He couldn't move.

"Why don't you aid to your friend, instead." Minghao pointed at the man on the ground, "Your boss won't like to hear of his death."

The man seemed to stiffen. He hesitatingly looked at his companion, "Leave this guy and take him to the hospital."

The other guy crouched down and Junhui took the opportunity and ran beside him, at a turning. What had he done? Hadn't he too turned into the criminal he didn't want Minghao to be? What difference did it make now?

Minghao watched Junhui leave and himself turned around and ran. He wasn't going to give them what they wanted. He took an alley and was suddenly, face to face with Junhui.

He pulled him to a safe corner and stared at him. "What the fuck! What did you just try to do? Didn't you want to stay away from me? Then why are you helping me out? And... like this? Why do you have to get yourself involved in everything, damn it!" he stopped when he realised Junhui looked like he was about to cry. Shit! He messed up again.

He put a hand on his shoulder, "Junhui... I don't think you killed him. It wasn't a very hard blow. He'll survive..." he looked around. This was near one of his bases. "Come with me, I'll guide you out."

Junhui said nothing, just followed him, stifling his tears. Minghao led him to a broken down house. He opened the door. "Get out from the front door. It'll lead you to the main road. And... go straight home."

Junhui went inside and looked at him.

"Stay safe." Minghao said looking at him with an unidentified emotion. He then closed the door and ran away.

Junhui ran towards the door and got out in the streets. He had messed up! Just why did he have to do that?

He ran home, crying, swearing he'll forget about his soulmate.