Chapter Sixty-One

"Oh no," Colton says as he rolls his eyes. "Why the fuck do you have the notebook again? You trynna kill me?"

I look down and start laughing. "Nah, I'm just writing down our to-do list."

"Mmmhm, sure," he says.

"I'm serious, Colton," I tell him. We're about an hour away from the hospital and I'm trying to write down everything we need to do. We can't waste any more time.

"What's on it?" he asks. He starts trying to read it.

"Colton! Watch the fucking road," I say as I try to hold back laughing. "I seriously don't think that I've met anyone like you."

He looks over at me. "Good."

I blush and look down. "Right now, we have to go to the hospital and figure out how to tell your mom," I explain. Colton doesn't say anything. "You have any ideas?"

"Not really." Colton sighs. "I mean, if things go well at the hospital, it might be easier to tell my mom."

"Yeah," I murmur as I write it down. "I know this is random, but do you know where you wanna do it? Like at my house? Or a restaurant? Or...?"

"I have no idea. Whatever you think," he says. I nod and write a question mark down.

Fuck, I'm so nervous. Doctor Warren called us earlier and said that she had some potentially exciting news. And I have no idea what is, but my mind has jumped to the conclusion that something's going to give Colton a chance. He keeps telling me not to get my hopes up but it's hard not to.

I sigh as I look at him. "Do you things are gonna go well?"

"I have no idea," Colton tells me. He's quiet for a minute. "This is my last chance. If things don't work out here, there's nothing else."

"I know," I say quietly. "I really hope there's something here."

************

We've been in a waiting room for four minutes and I keep looking at Colton and his face is blank. I feel like I haven't taken a breath since we got here. I'm so fucking nervous. I'm a complete disaster.

But Colton's not. He's been sitting still, not bouncing his knee or looking around. He's so collected and I have no idea how. Maybe that's why we're good together. He's collected when I'm not.

"Fuck, how much longer you think it's gonna be?" I ask him as my leg bounces.

Colton shrugs. "We're twenty minutes early, so I'd guess about that long."

"God damn," I mutter.

"It's cute that you're nervous," Colton says."Everything's gonna workout. Don't worry."

"I know." I sigh and lean forward. I feel Colton's hand low on my back and I release a breath I didn't know I was holding. "Fuck, I'm gonna make a tea," I tell him. "You want one?"

"I'm good."

I nod and walk over to the corner of the waiting room where there's a tea and coffee section. I start brewing hot water into a cup as I look through the teas. Chai sounds good, but I really don't need the caffeine. I'm already a nervous disaster. I see a lavender chamomile tea bag that says says it helps to calm you.

"I'm sold," I mutter. I take the tea bag out of the wrapper and put it in the cup with hot water. I'm about to add sugar when I hear, "Colton Samson? Doctor Warren is ready to see you."

I grab the cup and walk towards Colton. He shoots me a look and grabs my hand as we follow the nurse. "You ready?" I ask him quietly.

"I guess I have to be," he tells me quietly. His eyes meet mine. "But promise me that you're not getting your hopes up?"