Chapter Thirty-Eight

It's been four weeks since I agreed to be with Bryce. And four and a half weeks since Colton left. He slips farther away with every day and I don't think about him as much. I think I've only called him once since the last time. He never returned any of my calls.

But my dad called a week ago and said that Colton was back in town, but not staying with Alex.

I feel like I'm almost moving on. Things with Bryce have been good. They've gotten less awkward and more natural. I kept waiting for sparks to fly or something to click, but it never did. And I guess I'm just content right now. Majeste woke up and Tasha and Bobbe are so relieved. Bobbe's happy again and he visits Majeste every day.

It feels like everything is okay and back to normal.

I shift the textbook in my arms and sigh as I look at my phone. I'm waiting outside of class for Tasha. I think she wanted to go to the mall and window shop.

I call Colton's number. I don't even know why I'm calling him or what I'm going to say. I expect to hear his ringtone, but the automated voice comes on and says, "I'm sorry. The person you're trying to reach is unavailable. This number is no longer in use. Press one for—"

I stare in disbelief at my phone. Colton's number is gone. I have no way to even attempt to talk to him.

"Hey, boo," Tasha says. I look at her and she frowns. "You look like a ghost."

"I, um...Colton's number is gone," I tell her. "He changed it."

Tasha sighs and she links her arm with mine. "Maybe it's for the better. Why were you calling him anyway?"

"I don't know. I've left voicemails a few times in the hope that he'll pick up," I explain.

"Does Bryce know?" she asks.

"No. No, he does not," I say, and I feel my face redden. "Fuck. I don't even know why I'm calling, or why it bothers me so much."

"Well, just forget about him," she tells me.

I look at her. "You're not gonna tell to break up with Bryce?"

She shrugs. "I hate to say this, boo, but I don't Colton's coming back. And you seem like you're kind of happy with Bryce."

I nod but don't say anything. "How's Bobbe?" I ask.

"He's fine," Tasha says. "School started up for him again, so everyone's kind of fucked up and nervous. It's a bad vibe."

"I can imagine," I say.

"Oh!" Tasha says excitedly as she stops walking. "I forgot to tell you. I met a new guy."

I look at her. "You did? Who?"

She giggles. "He doesn't go here but he has a kid too. But he's not old, he's like twenty-five."

"Good for you!" I say as I grin. She grins back.

We keep walking and talking but I keep lingering on Colton.

When we get to the mall, Tasha sighs as she looks at me. "Fuck, you love him, don't you?"

I'm caught off guard and I don't answer her for a minute. "I don't know how I feel about Bryce right—"

"Not Bryce," Tasha cuts me off. "Colton. You love him."

I can't find anything to say and I'm just staring at her with my mouth hanging open. I don't know how to respond. I can't love Colton because of too many reasons, and I haven't even asked myself if I do because the answer would fuck everything up.