Chapter Forty-Four

"You have to say something to me at some point," I tell Colton as we're looking around a store. "You can't ignore me."

But he doesn't say anything. Colton has not said one word to me in fifteen minutes. And he walks ahead of me. I really fucked things up this morning. I pushed him too hard and he pulled away completely. This is almost worse than Colton leaving.

"Colton," I say, trying to get his attention or to get him to say anything. "Say something."

He says nothing again. I sigh and keep looking around. I have no idea what to get my dad and I'm too distracted by Colton to think clearly.

Fuck.

We walk out of the store and Colton walks quickly. I have to jog to catch up to him. I go to grab his arm, but my hand slips and lands on his chest. Colton stiffens and stops walking.

"Colton," I say again. "Please say something. You're making me feel like absolute shit."

"What do you want to get your dad?" Colton asks, looking straight ahead. It seems forced, which I guess it is.

"I don't know," I say. "I can't think straight because of you."

He hasn't moved my hand off his chest and I can feel his heart beating through the thin material of his t-shirt. I move my other hand to his chest and Colton finally meets my eyes.

"Okay."

"That's all you're going to say?" I ask. "Are you mad about something?"

"No. I'm fine. I just want to get back to the house," Colton says. He steps away from me and I sigh.

"Fine."

We go in and out of stores, barely talking. Eventually, we find a gift and start walking home. You could cut the tension with a knife. Colton hasn't warmed up at all and  I have no idea how I'm supposed to get through to him.

I feel beyond stuck and frustrated. Nothing is working and I keep telling myself that I have to move on, but I can't. I can not get over Colton and it's going to kill me. Colton already moved on and I keep questioning if he even cares about me.

At this point, I'm desperately hoping that we go back to fighting because anything is better than Colton ignoring me.

*************************

It's been two hours and Colton has still been avoiding me. I think he must be in our room because the door is shut. I've been laying out by the pool. Dad texted that he and Alex are going to be home in an hour, so I guess it's just us for a little while longer.

I sigh as I feel my back starting to tan a little bit too much. I couldn't reach all of it with sunscreen. I sit up and look around. The only person I could ask is Colton and at least it gives me something to ask him about.

I stand up and walk back into the house. I stop in front of our room and knock on the door. "Hey," I say.

Colton opens the door. "What?" he asks.

"Can you help me with my back? I couldn't reach it with the sunscreen," I ask.

Colton sighs. "I guess."

"You should come out to the pool with me," I offer. I almost regret it as soon as it comes out of my mouth. "Please?"

Colton looks around. It seems like he's thinking about it. "I...fine," Colton says finally.

"Cool," I say, trying not to seem too excited. Colton shuts the door to our room and follows me out to the pool. "Where do you think the parents are?"