Part 1 - Journey to Hogwarts

Remus

They are on the train to Hogwarts. Sirius is the only one in their compartment other than Remus. The compartment is just as he remembers it, and the view out the window is as beautiful as ever. He looks back at Sirius. His shoulder-length black hair was waving about as if there was a wind in the compartment. His grey eyes were shining like there was a whole world in there. Sirius smiled at him, and the world was suddenly brighter–

"Remus honey wake up. We have to leave soon."

It was an odd dream. He rarely remembered dreams, only nightmares. So he was curious as to what this one meant. However, that would have to wait, as he had overslept and needed to get to Kings' cross station soon.

When they arrive at the station, they rushed through the large crowds to make it to the barrier. They leaned against it to avoid suspicion from the muggles, then went on through.

When he got to their usual compartment, it was empty, so he got out his book to read while he waited for the others. He couldn't concentrate on it though, as his mind kept wandering back to Sirius, and that dream. He had always been closer to Sirius than the others. They just had a different connection. That's all.

Peter comes in, and they talk about the new album a muggle band they both liked released over the summer. James comes in with Sirius, laughing at some joke. Sirius had the oddest laugh, but it was also soothing.

"What's so funny?" Peter asked, curious as to what could have created such a reaction. Not that it was uncommon for those two to be bent over laughing. They claimed to be the mastermind behind every prank the marauders pulled. But they all knew that they were the ideas men and Remus was the one who thought out how they would work. They even helped him make a map of the school on which you could see where everyone was, just so they could pull off more intricate pranks.

"Our new prank for the Slytherins" James explained. "We are going to sneak into the Slytherin's common room and enchant rubber snakes to fly around hitting them!"

"But then I said," Sirius continued. "We aren't going to sneak in. We'll slither in!"

All of the other boys fell to the floor laughing as if this wasn't the millionth time, they had made that pun. Remus smiled at the fact that they could laugh at the same joke so many times.

"How were your summers?" Remus asked, hoping to avoid the topic of his own.

"Alright. Nothing special" Peter replied.

"I taught my dad to play quidditch," James laughed. "He's horrible!"

"Oh and I simply had the most delightful summer" Sirius added sarcastically, laughing. They all knew his family was not exactly happy that their son was in Gryffindor. "What about you Remus?"

"Nothing special." He replied quickly. "Just homework and books here."

"No chocolate!?" Sirius replied, a fake shock in his voice.

"Well that is a given, I didn't think it required an explanation" They all laughed. It was good to see his friends again. They were beginning to plan their next prank on the Slytherin's when the door to their compartment opened.

"Hey, Sirius." The voice belonged to Imogen Lestley. She was a Gryffindor in their year. Next to her was her sister Millie, who was a Gryffindor third year. Imogen and her sister are what one would call good looking. They both have straight brown hair, Imogen's shoulder-length, Millie's down to her waist. They had ice blue eyes and pretty smiles. All that aside, Remus was never interested in either one. Peter had had a crush on Millie last year, but he was over that now.

"Do you want to come and join us?" Imogen continued. "We got a cat over the summer. She is so cute! You have to meet her!"

"I'd love to," Sirius replied. Then he left the other three to go with the Lestley girls.

Remus was a bit annoyed that Sirius had just left them like that. They were in the middle of planning the prank he came up with, but what could Remus do? Sirius had every right to hang out with whomever he wanted. Even if it bugged Remus for more reasons than he could explain.

Later that night, as they were heading to bed, James was complaining about Lily. Sirius was downstairs and he and Imogen were very friendly with each other. Remus wasn't really listening to James (as usual), but then he heard something that caught his attention. "-her laugh is just so soothing. Don't you think?"

Remus had an odd feeling in his stomach. He asked James "How do you know if you like someone? I mean how did you know with Lily?"

James grinned like he had been waiting for years to be asked that, knowing him he probably had been. "For me, I didn't realise at first. I remember not being able to stop thinking about her. Her smile lit up my world, and I would do anything to keep it on her face. I love talking with her, when she lets me, and her laugh is so soothing I could fall asleep listening to it. I finally realised when I had a dream. She was in it. Only her. She was so beautiful. Then I woke up and was like 'Ohhh I get it now.' That is how I knew. Why do you ask? Who's the special someone?"

"No one," Remus replied quickly, the horrid feeling in his stomach growing. "Just curious. That's all"

"You tell yourself that Moony," James replied, a grin spreading across his face. "Night then."

"Night" Remus replied. He couldn't stop thinking about all that James had said. He felt like James had described the way he felt about Sirius. The feeling in his stomach grew. Into something, he felt too tired to deal with.

Sirius

Sirius didn't particularly want to go with the Lestley girls. He was content where he was. Thinking about life and Remus and pranks and Remus. But he didn't want to be rude, so he got up and left.

She was right. The cat was very cute, but Sirius got the feeling she wanted a little bit more than to play with the cat. Remus was probably snuggled up all cute with a book reading in the corner as usual. He was cute when he read. His gorgeous green eyes wandering from side to side- No. He was not going to think about Remus when he was here, with a kind, cute girl who obviously liked him. He needed to do something to get his mind of Remus.

"Hey Imogen? Do you want to go on a date on the first Hogsmeade weekend?" he asked. This would certainly take his mind off Remus.

"I'd love to!" she replied happily.

Later that night, when the other Marauders had gone to bed, he and Imogen, or Imi, got to know each other. She was not a particularly good student, her favourite class being divination. Sirius learned that she had an older brother who had already left Hogwarts and she loved to watch muggle movies.

When he finally got to bed, all he could think about was Remus and Imi. He was subconsciously comparing them, and Remus always seemed to come out on top. Nonsense! There was plenty that was lovely about Imogen. It might just take him a week or two to work out what. After all, he had known Remus well for years, and Imi only a few hours. Yes, that's it. 

// Thank you so much for reading! This is my first time writing fanfiction. If you have any tips or constructive criticism please feel free to let me know! I hope you enjoyed it!