Chapter Forty Two ~ July

Start from the beginning

"I'll be making a complaint to the cops next time," he bites back and I grit my teeth before plastering a fake smile on my face.

"It's turned down," I repeat myself and he nods before turning and retreating down the driveway in his pristine suit. "Fucking idiot," I huff under my breath.

"Who was that?" Sav asks, her eyes wide, clearly alarmed by what just happened.

I shrug. "Brett's dad."

"Oh..." She breathes out, slouching back down on her sun lounger.

"Yep. He's as much of a dick as his son," I add, sinking down beside her.

Sav suddenly sniffles and I glance at her to see tears welling up in her eyes. "He broke my heart, Bec."

"I know," I tell her, wrapping my arm around her shoulder and hauling her into me as she sobs. I grit my teeth, angry for my best friend. This is exactly why relationships are the wrong call.

*~*~*

Present Day - July 2028

Standing up from the bench, I flip my notepad closed and slide the pen through the paper, clipping it together. I've spent two hours out here in the sunshine, effectively planning three new potential gowns for anyone who needs a last minute dress for any events.

After all, Alice didn't give me very long last time.

Sav and Brett's backyard is gorgeous, luscious grass covering the majority of the area, a pool sitting pride of place close to the house. It's incredible, much better than any place in the middle of the city can offer.

I've been enjoying most of my days this last week out here, taking advantage of the hot weather before heading inside for the afternoons to sit in the air conditioning.

Sav works with Brett two days of the week, leaving me completely home alone in their gorgeous almost-mansion-sized home.

Heading up the stairs, I grab onto the glass french doors and step into the kitchen. I hear dimmed voices and raise an eyebrow, wondering who Sav's talking to. Leaving my notebook on the side, I head towards the living room, slowing when I'm able to make out her words.

"We need to give them time," she says.

"He wants to talk to her," Brett counters and I raise an eyebrow. He's not usually home so early from work.

"Becky needs space right now," Savannah answers and I inhale sharply. They're talking about Ellis and I.

"For how long? Ellis is hurting."

"So is Becky," Sav hisses and I smile at her defensive attitude. My best friend.

"I can't see how this space is going to help them," Brett tells her and I lean back against the wall beside me.

"Every day I'm talking to her a little more. I'll get through to her eventually," Sav replies. Through to me? "She's hurt right now, but I've never seen her like this with anyone before. She likes Ellis, she just doesn't want her heart broken."

"Nor does Ellis." Brett's reply comes instantly. I scoff, pushing away from the wall and heading back to the kitchen.

Diving into the nearest cupboard, I grab the vodka I picked up from the store the other day.

*~*~*

No-one noticed when I left Sav and Brett's house. I wandered down the road with the full bottle of alcohol in my hand, ending up in the park.

A dark, wooden bench has been comfortable enough for me the last half an hour as I slowly sip the burning liquid. Every time children run past, I try to hide the bottle by clutching it to my chest, smiling fakely at their parents. Their disdain filled stares show me that they know.

I'm a loser, sitting in a park on her own in the middle of the day. Drinking neat vodka. How neat my life has become.

Maybe I should move back home. Mom and Dad would happily take me, I know that. They've always been supportive, assuring me that if Haydon or I need somewhere to fall back on, they've got us.

I could also approach Haydon, but I can't bear the idea of living with my brother. I love him to high hell, but we've always needed our space from one another.

I'm slowly making more and more from my dress making. I'll be out of Sav and Brett's hair in no time.

Living on my own instead.

I groan out loud, lifting the bottle to my lips once more. What a dreadful thought. So fucking lonely.

"Sav imagined you might have come here." I freeze before pulling the bottle from my lips and replacing the lid on the top. He doesn't need to see me falling apart.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, not daring to look at him.

"I miss you," Ellis answers. I feel the wooden slats of the bench shift slightly as he settles beside me.

"I don't want to see you," I mutter.

"We can't keep doing this. We need to talk it through," he replies and I duck my head, swirling my finger around the outside of the bottle.

"I said what I needed to say."

"Please let me try to explain myself," Ellis exclaims and I purse my lips before shrugging in response. Sure.

"I should have told you about Cara," he admits and I smirk. Yes. You should. "The only reason I didn't was because she honestly never meant a thing to me. She was good in bed, I'll admit."

I grit my teeth at the words but stay silent.

"But other than that... I used her as a date every now and again because sometimes it was easier than going to a bar and picking up a random girl," he continues. "That was all it ever was. I stopped seeing her back in March when we reconnected."

Reconnected. I nearly scoff once more. It only took a couple of months for him to wear me down. I deserve this heartache for giving in so easily.

"She was truly nothing more than a no strings attached for me," he adds. "Nothing for you to worry about."

I purse my lips, finally looking up at him from under my matted eyelashes. They've suffered from my continuous crying this last week.

It's a rookie mistake. Ellis looks good, his eyes just as bright as always, lighting up a little more when I meet his gaze. His red shirt fits his body, his strong hands intertwined together on his lap.

"I don't care that you had dates with her," I tell him, my voice slightly hoarse. He looks surprised. "I don't care that you had sex with her all the time. I don't care if she meant something to you."

"What? Bec—"

"I care because you lied to me," I cut him off, holding my hand up. "Do you know how many people I've let my guard down for?"

His head drops and I nod.

"Sav, Zara, my family. And you," I tell him. "It takes a lot to break it down, but when it's down, it usually stays that way. I've never been anything but one hundred percent honest with you.

We spent months together, laughing about previous sexual partners and random dates. Yet you couldn't mention Cara once?" I question and he opens his mouth to say something but I cut him off. "She's been ringing you for months. I'm not stupid. She's under 'C' in your phone. Why would you code name that?"

"It wasn't a code name. I didn't care enough to put her full name in," he justifies and I laugh.

"That's cruel."

"Maybe," he agrees.

"Nevertheless, you had so long to tell me. But you didn't."

"Becky..."

"I can't forgive you, Ellis," I announce, shaking my head at him. I try to ignore the despair and panic on his face. Instead, I look away, down at the half drunk bottle in my hand.

"We're done." I hammer the nail in the coffin before standing from the bench. I don't look back as I walk away.