Chapter Thirty Two ~ May

"Well, that's everything," Ellis says, slamming his trunk closed, shutting my tiny amount of stuff inside, chained to him forever. Oh Jesus, maybe this wasn't a good idea after all.

"At least you don't have to go to work," I tell Sav, moving her hair away from her face. She finally told Eric to shove his job yesterday, having enough of his fucking bullshit and walking away.

"I'm poor." She pouts.

I grin. "You're going to love it. Especially with a millionaire boyfriend."

She rolls her eyes. "That's not why I'm with him, Bec!"

"Sure!" I exclaim, teasing her with a grin.

"I don't want to say goodbye," Sav blubbers, a sob falling from her mouth. Yes. Savannah. You're doing this for Sav.

"Me neither," I reply sadly, grabbing onto her shoulders and hauling her in for a hug.

"You girls do know you'll see each other like tomorrow?" Ellis scoffs, leaning against his car.

"Don't make me regret this, Wakefield!" I hiss, narrowing my eyes at the inconsiderate idiot. He raises his hands before looking away, leaving Sav and I to be sad on our own terms.

"It's the principle!" Sav adds. "We've lived together since college."

"Ohhhh! I take it back! I can't move in with a boy," I exclaim, pulling her tighter against me.

"Hey!"

"Me neither!" Sav replies, both of us ignoring Ellis. "Let's just get a different apartment in the city."

"You do know that Brett will be here in ten minutes?" Ellis pipes up once more. "And that I have feelings?"

"Who am I going to have midnight snacks with?" I exclaim and Sav shakes her head. "No-one ever has as much cake in the house as you do!"

"What about me? What if I need some ribbon or thread? What if I need someone to make me a cocktail?"

"Oh, trust me," I retort, "as soon as you've given birth you're going to need a cocktail."

She pouts. "Precisely."

"I'll come over immediately. Whenever you need any of those things," I promise her. "And also when you don't."

"You better." She pulls me in for another hug. "It's the end of an era."

"The best era that mankind has ever known!" I exclaim, and she laughs.

"Agreed."

After another five minutes of snivelling and crying, I'm finally in Ellis' car, my nose pressed against the window pane, desperately watching my best friend as she gets smaller and smaller, waving at me from the entrance to the motel as I drive away.

Out of her life.

Okay, I'm being dramatic.

But come on, I never thought I'd see this day. We were supposed to grow old together, Sav eating cake, falling asleep in front of the TV by eight, myself bringing home a hot, greying date at seven so that we could all be asleep by nine.

Damn Ellis and Brett for getting in the way of my perfect plan.

*~*~*

"So, here we are," Ellis exclaims as he pushes the door to his apartment open, gesturing for me to enter. I walk inside, silent as I observe the space, smiling slightly when I realize he's cleaned up just for me.

"I've been here before," I remind him and he shrugs before holding something out. I place my bag on the floor before stepping towards him to take whatever he's offering.