Chapter Forty Two ~ July

September - 2020

Music fills the backyard and I hum along to it before passing Sav a glass of the raspberry slushie ice drink.

"Is this alcoholic?" Sav raises an eyebrow at the drink. I shrug in response and she laughs.

"It's Becky. Of course it is," Haydon scoffs before holding his hand out for one. He came home half an hour ago, promptly interrupting our girlie day in the sun.

"It makes it better," I argue before handing him a half filled one. Take that, Haydon.

"Seriously?" He rolls his eyes before snatching the jug from me and topping it up.

"Haydon! I'm trying to mend a broken heart over here!" I moan before gesturing to an amused looking Savannah. "Stop drinking our happy juice."

"Looks to me like you're drinking more than Savannah is," he counters before raising his glass towards her. "Sorry to hear you're going through a rough time."

She smiles in response. "I'll be okay, thank you."

Haydon soon excuses himself, thankfully. He heads into the house with his drink and I yell after him that he can't have another refill. I don't miss the rather friendly grin he shoots my best friend before disappearing, narrowing my eyes at the sight. What's he playing at?

"I'm okay, Bec, honestly," Sav tries to assure me. I roll my eyes.

"Give up! The boy you've pretty much been with all year just made out with your best friend," I retort. "You're fucking stupid if you think I believe you're okay."

It's been a week since Sav found Brett in the arms of Georgia, and I've made it my mission to distract her from the absolute betrayal from both of the snakes.

Sav smiles at the last of my words. "Thanks for letting me come here. Elle was working and I didn't fancy lounging around on my own."

"Any time." I grin. "I am more than equipped to help you forget both of those idiots." I reach out, turning the speaker up. "Come on!" I reach out for her hand and she groans.

"I don't think dancing in your backyard is going to help me," she insists and I shake my head, tearing the glass out of her hands and placing it on the table beside me. With one last yank, I haul her onto her feet and shimmy her hands back and forth.

She laughs as I encourage her to dance. She's trying to resist, doing her best to pretend she doesn't want to give in and ignore the real world. Letting go of her hand, I reach for the speaker and turn the Little Mix song up even more. She giggles, slowly starting to move her hips beside me.

I'm screaming the song in her face, whirling around enthusiastically as she giggles. I grin at the sight, knowing that I'm succeeding in helping her forget.

Sav fully lets herself go, jumping up and down on the paved slabs beneath her feet and singing into my face. I grab onto her hands once more, lifting her hand and twirling her around. She laughs.

"Do you know how loud that is?" The loud, deep, booming voice cuts both of us off. Sav's eyes are wide as I turn towards our driveway.

"George," I greet Brett's dad, reaching behind and turning the speaker down. He's always been a spoilsport. The only bad thing about living on this street. Well... obviously his son as well.

"Turn that music down. Absolutely abhorrent having to listen to that from three houses down," he snaps, his face turning red.

"I already have," I reply coolly, gesturing behind me to the speaker.