Chapter Twenty Six ~ April

Two days later, I sit on my Gucci bedspread, head back against the wall, phone pressed to my ear, laughing as Ellis tells me how he dropped eight cartons of milk this morning.

"I told them it wasn't my fault though," he replies as I giggle. "I wasn't employed as their milkmaid."

"I beg to differ," I retort, twining my hands into my blanket. "It seems like you were."

"It's only happened four times," he counters and I chuckle once more. I love how our conversations go; there's never any awkwardness. Neither one of us are ever stuck on what to say next. But then again, I guess that's because we're two peas in a pod... in some aspects anyway.

"Maybe you should take the hint," I exclaim and he groans.

"I need a new job."

"So does Sav. And mine isn't going anywhere," I reply honestly, pouting slightly. "Seems like none of us are doing too well."

"You're doing amazing," he argues and I feel my stomach fill with slight warmth at his words. It means a lot to know that people can see I'm trying. "How's the dress going?"

"Appalling," I answer, looking across the room at my dresser, the piles of gold fabric on top of it. "I think I need to find a new profession. Maybe the gym is hiring."

"Don't you even dare," he warns and I raise an eyebrow.

"And why the hell not?"

"Because you've spent the last two years using that place to pull guys," he replies. "They will all know who you are."

"And your point is?"

"I don't like the idea of them all fawning over you."

"Alright, caveman." I grin and he chuckles.

"Whatever. I just need everyone to know that you're off limits."

"You mean like you did the other day at the high school reunion?" I retort and he goes silent. I smile to myself. Don't get me wrong, I hate that he blind-sided me. The old Becky would have booted him around the face with my stiletto as soon as he'd let go of me in that hall full of our friends. Yet for some reason I'm not too bothered. Sure, I wish he'd asked before he did it, but the romantic gesture is not lost on me. I'm a slave to his damn actions, and slowly but surely, he's gaining more and more control over each and every part of me.

I'm excited to see where this goes, having fallen into his trap with no escape. I'm still petrified, not daring to let go of all control. I have no idea when I'll ever be able to do that.

And I have no idea when it was that I turned into such a soppy romantic. The fact I enjoyed Ellis' show-stopping make out session in the middle of a party has me cringing, wondering when I turned into Sav. She lives for this stuff. I do not.

Ellis Wakefield really has done a number on me. I don't know how to resist it, unsure how to make sure I stay true to myself. After all, Becky Gordon is known for her maneater ways. What if, by letting myself give in to Ellis, I lose part of me too?

"I've already told you I'm sorry about that," he replies in a quiet voice.

"I wish you'd run it by me," I grumble, not willing to let my soppy side win. There's no chance that feisty Becky would let this go, and I've got to maintain that composure. "In front of all of our fucking friends!"

"It seemed like the time was right."

"Because you wanted to compete with Sav and Brett?" I scoff with a small smirk on my face.

"We don't need to compete. We're obviously better."

"Well, duh." I joke and he laughs. "We have way more game than them. Eight years and all those two can do is each other."