Chapter Two ~ March

March 2022

"Spit it out." I order my best friend, Savannah fretting over something she needs to tell me, both of us sitting in her college dorm room. "I told everyone it was me who threw up in Dean's pool to cover for you back in high school. I made sure Haydon didn't find out that you dropped his journalism trophy!" I continue. "What about when we went for that bikini wax and you left halfway through..."

"Alright!" Sav cuts me off. The way she's acting is giving me an inkling that it's about a boy, her romantic relationship with my brother Haydon now done and dusted for definite, their long distance romance having been an absolute disaster from the moment she came to college.

"The point is, you can't hide from me." I shrug, lifting the cocktail she made to my mouth.

"Okay." She nods, sitting up straighter. "So..." She trails off and I raise an eyebrow. "Okay... Brett and I..."

"You're together?" I finish for her and she shakes her head.

"Well no... I don't know..."

"Have you forgotten what happened last time?" I point out. "What he did to you?"

"Becs... he's been different," Savannah replies. "You haven't been here..."

"You never thought to mention this on the phone?"

"I should have told you about Brett and tried to explain," she replies softly and I shake my head.

"No! You don't have to explain. I know he's apologized to you on numerous occasions," I mutter, glancing back down and taking a drink. "You broke up with my brother over a month ago and things hadn't been right since way before Christmas, you deserve to move on."

"I still should have given you the heads up," Sav replies with an apologetic look.

"So Brett... Are you exclusive?"

"No," she replies. "We're just seeing how things go."

With those words, the immature high school boys that I had vowed I'd never see again suddenly reappear in my life. As soon as we enter the party later that night I spot Ellis, his arm wrapped around a girl as they dance. I feel my face fall at the sight, Savannah whirling around as soon as she spots my expression.

"Ellis?" Sav exclaims. Ellis turns, his attention instantly on us, leaving the girl and stepping our way.

"Missed me Becky?" he asks, eyes trailing appreciatively over my black dress.

"Definitely not!" I snort, not caring how unattractive I sound as I cross my arms and scowl. "Don't get in my way tonight Ellis."

"Drink?" He offers with a smirk, reaching behind him and grabbing hold of a can.

"Definitely." I accept, taking it from him before averting my eyes elsewhere. What? A girl isn't going to turn down free alcohol!

"So Ellis, are you still in college?" Sav asks. My eyes trail over the gyrating couples in the next room as I try to avoid his insistent gaze.

"Yeah!"

"Haven't been kicked out then?" I can't help but comment.

"Have you?"

"I'm too hot to be kicked out." I smirk, not backing down as I cross my arms.

"Same." Ellis shoots back, his eyes glittering as they meet mine.