Chapter Thirty Nine ~ July

Start from the beginning

"It's a boy, Becky!" Ellis argues, rolling his eyes at me.

"Girl."

"Boy."

"Girl!"

"Are you two serious?" Sav scoffs before taking a bite of the cupcake.

"We have a bet."

"On what gender the baby is?" Elena steps forward, her eyebrows raised.

"Yep." I nod. "Loser doesn't get oral for a whole month."

"Jesus Christ!" Zara exclaims from beside us. "Do you two ever think outside the bedroom?"

"No." Ellis shrugs before wrapping an arm around my waist. Butterflies fill my stomach at the action, the way he hauls me closer igniting a part of me that I hadn't known existed before I finally let this boy touch me. "This girl has too much talent."

"Ah, thanks!" I uncontrollably grin, turning towards him and leaning up, adamant to plant a kiss on his lips, craving him dearly after his cheeky yet attractive words. He captures my lips with ease, leaning in as to not let me retreat. The simple action has my toes curling, the idea of how desirable he finds me absolutely addictive. I subconsciously part my lips, Ellis deepening the kiss without any hesitation as my heart begins to pump the blood around my body faster. It's as though I've been running down the street, completely breathless already as his grip tightens on my waist.

"Can't you two get a room?" Zara's girlfriend laughs and I smirk against Ellis' mouth, flipping her the finger without either of us ever moving apart, both drawn in, mid kiss and mid excitement.

"They're a lovely couple." Zara replies as I hear Elena and Savannah laugh.

What a truly wonderful baby shower.

*~*~*

I slowly pick at the blue cupcake in my hand, digging into the icing and scooping it out, delicately lifting it to my lips. There's no distinct flavor, only the usual icing taste, but I'm not complaining. I'm not really into all that fake blueberry tasting shit.

I look over at Sav giggling with her friend and can't help but smile, happy that she's having a good time. She deserves this after everything her and Brett have been through the last year, and there's absolutely no way that I'm letting anyone ruin any of it for her.

Looking down at my phone, I cringe at the sight of a new email, alerting me to a new news blast about 'Becky Gordon'. I shove it away before lifting my glass of prosecco to my lips and downing it. I'll deal with it later. Today is Savannah's day.

I haven't said a word to my best friend about the slandering news that's spreading about me, keeping it bottled up and away from her fragile state. I've dumbed it down to Ellis too, even though I know he's probably keeping a look out like I am, forever moody when he walks in the door. His happy mask is always on as soon as he spots me, pretending everything is okay, just like I do with him.

It's been two weeks, and our method is working out just fine.

A sudden squeal has me looking over towards Sav to see one of Ellis and Brett's old school friends, Ben, has joined them, a latecomer, but most definitely a blast from the past. I grin, leaving my empty glass on the side before heading towards the group.

"That's for sure," I hear Ellis say.

"You can't say much." Brett scoffs back, glaring at his friend.

"Hey Ben." I grin, stepping around the boys and smiling at the blonde boy. "You look good."

"Watch your mouth angel," Ellis snaps instantly, his arm wrapping around my waist and pulling me flush against him. I raise my eyebrows at the sudden territorial-ness, my heart seeming to skip a beat at his words. Do I like that? Jeez, Bec, what's happened to you?