Chapter 9 - Term 1, Week 12

Monday

Every year, the Catering & Hospitality students at Saint Nicholas College are offered the opportunity to visit a convention in Birmingham called World of Hospitality. Only the full time students are allowed to attend, because the restaurant is still open and the college still allows people to book for lunch. Usually only a coach load goes, and for the day, the students are allowed to run riot around the NEC and ogle the niceties available.

It's mostly really for hoteliers and restaurant owners, but there are cooking demonstrations and baking competitions. A student last year - an old Level 3, entered a cake into the competition. It was a finalist, but it didn't win. It was a good-looking piece of cake, though. It was just a shame Nuneaton couldn't be put on the map for something miraculous that isn't already 130 years old.

"We're going again, right?" Eden asks as she leans up against the side of Adele's Lupo.

It's the end of the day, it's tipping down with rain again, and for some odd reason, Steve had been in a piss poor mood all day, meaning he'd put a downer on everyone else's Monday. Adele is sitting in the driver's seat of her car sideways, her legs hanging out the side of the door as she frantically reads the letter about the trip. It's only just been handed to them on their way out, but she wants to make sure she has all the details for her parents before she gets home.

"Most likely." Adele mumbles.

"Good, 'cause it was fucking mint last year. Remember Lucy got high in the toilets with Courtney and they both passed out on the coach ride home?"

Lucy, who got high on the coach journey home, is the exact same Lucy who had the bad party last year where Adele lost all her things and threw up in a sink the next morning.

"How could I forget?" Adele's response is dull.

"Can you give me a lift into town?" Eden nudges Adele's leg with her foot. "I don't really fancy walking in this shite weather."

"I told you I've got to get home. I don't want Mum having another hissy fit at me for nothing."

This morning, when Adele had been on her way out to her car, Gwen had suddenly lost her temper over the smallest thing - Adele's t-shirt. It turns out it wasn't really the t-shirt that was the issue, though Gwen claimed it to show far too much cleavage for a normal college day. Adele hadn't said anything in reply. What the actual issue is, is that Jason has had a girlfriend for some time, not told Baz and Gwen, and now he's invited her to dinner. Tonight.

Baz and Gwen aren't exactly strict when it comes to who their children date, and Jason is almost 28 years old - he can date whoever he bloody likes. Gwen's real problem is that Jason for some reason couldn't tell her, and now he's sprung it on her last minute. Jason and his new girlfriend have been together a little longer than Adele has been seeing Harry. Gwen just feels a little betrayed by her eldest, and she's convinced herself there will be something she doesn't like about this secret girlfriend.

"Can't Ben run you into town? Or get the bus down?" Adele suggests, tucking the letter away into her bag.

"Ben's already fucked off." Eden huffs. "Summat to do with his mum. Really don't like Edyta at times."

"You've said before. She was fine when I met her."

"Yeah, probably coked off her face, mate. She's like Fun Bobby off Friends, except she's mad into drugs, not an alcoholic."

"Fuck sake." Adele sighs. "I'm sorry I can't run you into town, mate. I'd just ideally not like to stress my mum out more than she already is."

"S'fine. I'll see you tomorrow."