Chapter 10 - Term 2, Week 12

Monday

It feels unusual for Adele to come home in the afternoon now and Eth not be there. The house is so full all the time, it seems odd to come home to only one person. Ethel has gone to stay with Aunt Linda for a couple of days for a change of scenery. Adele wishes she had that luxury sometimes, or at least she wishes it for her mother.

Gwen is the only one home when she gets in, sitting in the dining rooms as she sifts through a pile of papers that seem to pose little interest to her. If anything, it's nice to see her somewhere other than the sofa or her bed. After changing, Adele sits with her for a little while before everyone returns.

"Weird to see the house so empty." She comments quietly, resting her chin on her arms where they lie flat on the tabletop.

Gwen chuckles, placing the piece of paper she's been reading in one pile to start the next. "I know, it's nice to have some peace and quiet - your grandma is driving me up the sodding wall being here all the time."

"At least she's here to look after you." Adele supposes. "Typical really that Dad's work should pick up now while you need taking care of."

"I don't need a babysitter - I'm perfectly capable of looking after myself." Gwen retorts, filing the next sheet into a different pile.

"You're fine now, but you won't be after your next treatment. You barely moved the last time for three straight days, so don't tell me you can look after yourself, because you can't."

Gwen stops what she's doing, slowly twisting her upper half to look at her daughter with an unimpressed expression. "I'm sorry, since when did you become head nurse?"

Adele snorts, shifting her gaze to the table. "Since you needed someone to start looking after you. Mum, I know you hate being waited on, but if you want to get better then you need to let us. Dad made a promise and I'm gonna help him keep it, even if we have to do it with you kicking and screaming."

Her mother narrows her gaze, but the corners of her lips tug with a smile. "It never bodes well when your daughter comes with more maturity than you do."

She shrugs. "S'a reality check, innit?"

"It shouldn't have to be. You're 18 years old, for crying out loud. You should be out enjoying yourself and having fun and making mistakes. Not worrying about your daft, hysterical mother."

"I've made plenty of mistakes." Adele mutters.

Gwen kisses her teeth, reaching forward to take Adele's hand. "If you're talking about Harry, you shouldn't consider it a mistake. More a lesson. Have you made up yet?"

Adele shakes her head. It's been over two weeks and neither of them have said a word to each other. Quite frankly, she's too upset to speak to him, and she thinks Harry might be put off trying considering he knows about her relationship with Ryan now. They've had their college sessions together and successfully managed to avoid each other every time - either because they were on different sections, or because they just didn't need to speak. If one thing is for sure, it's that she's grateful she hasn't had to, and that it would take a miracle for the two of them to reconcile again. She knows that she's seeing Ryan, and he should be top of her priority list, but she can't help feeling miserable over her situation with Harry.

"No, we haven't even spoken." She sighs, slumping in her chair. "I'm still angry with him, but I'm also really fucking sad."

"I'm not surprised. You were mending for a bit."

"Not anymore. We're like the Titanic - sunk and split in half."

Gwen sniggers, pushing her daughter's shoulder. "Don't be so bloody dramatic. The Titanic can't ever be repaired, but your friendship can. But anyway, you've got Ryan to think about now. When does he get his keys?"