Chapter 3 - Term 1, Week 5

Monday

Adele has been dreading this morning all weekend. On Friday Bridgett had sent an email to everyone informing that the first function would be taking place on the last Thursday of term, and the Level 3 students running it will be Amy in the kitchen and Harry in the restaurant. Not everyone gets chosen, but Level 2 students do have to do at least three out of the six functions across the year.

As a Level 1, you never have to do functions, but for Level 2 and Level 3, they're a requirement. They'll never be as flash as something at a hotel, but the college certainly trains students to make it feel that important. Bridgett's email had said that Amy and Harry have chosen the Level 2s they want for help, and they'd be posted on the bulletin board outside the boy's changing room on Monday morning.

Things still aren't particularly breezy between Adele and Harry. The Sunday after they'd fallen out was weird - he wouldn't even register her existence, even though she said she didn't want things to be awkward. He was good at hiding it though, because no one at the pub seemed to notice. Something told Adele he may have mentioned something to his mum, though.

On Tuesday in the restaurant, he'd only spoken to her once, and that was to tell her, rather unnecessarily, that one table needed a water top up. Then at work on Wednesday, he'd ignored her where possible, or just ordered her around because there was stuff to be done. The odd look from the head chef in his office hadn't been missed.

Friday, he actually turned up to her house in the morning to collect her, and the first thing he did was apologise for being an arse, but it didn't quite carry the heart she expected it to. Then during the day he went back to not talking to her, and during service at college, he had Ben at the pass with him, leaving Adele to suffer with the ever delightful Ashley. At work, he was the same, but he wasn't so ignorant with it.

The Sunday shift, Harry wasn't actually in at all, but Adele didn't quite have the nerve to ask just where exactly he was. She heard later in the day he was visiting his grandparents in Hinckley after one of the chefs had asked Anne of his whereabouts. Adele's only thought was 'fair enough'.

The past week was a little easier, but conversation was still minimal. Tuesday, they'd sat on the same table at break time but nothing was said in the restaurant. On Wednesday at work, he'd asked her if she wanted a cup of tea when she arrived, but didn't offer again when her first answer was 'no'.

Then on Friday when she'd picked him up, he actually said 'good morning' and shoved his phone into the aux cable. She'd been stuck with him as a partner on meat because Roy wanted Ben to teach Ashley something with the lamb dish that he's notoriously good at, so it was hard not to talk to him. He still took Ben with him during service, though. She's sure he's been trying to prove a point. At work, he was a little more accommodating but probably only to appease his mother.

Yesterday was an odd one because his mum hadn't been in, so the assistant manager was running everything and it was a bit more awkward. Adele is pretty sure Harry isn't a fan of Mandy since he spent most of the day rolling his eyes, and he even muttered something snide to Adele on his way back into the kitchen. She'd felt a little better after that.

Harry hasn't said anything to Adele about his choices for this function next Thursday, so she's completely in the dark. People have been asking her all weekend and she's been struggling to explain to them that she hasn't got a fucking clue who he's chosen.

Once again, she hangs back until everyone else has checked the board, noticing that Bella is super pissed over whatever she is or isn't doing, and Hattie looks bored of listening to her. That bodes well.

Adele moves forward to check the list, eyes frantically scanning the page. It doesn't take long to find her name, directly under Harry's and listed as Chef de Rang.