Chapter 3 - Term 3, Week 2

Tuesday

A pair of large hands find their way to Adele's shoulders as she sits in the canteen after her restaurant session has ended. She's idly scrolling through her Instagram feed, though there's nothing of any particular interest to her on it today.

She looks up and behind her at the person massaging their palms into her shoulder, grinning up at him. "All done?"

"Yes, finally." Harry sighs heavily, taking a step back so that she can stand from her chair. "Swear Alison just makes shit up so she can keep me later and lecture me about it."

Adele presses her lips together, slinging her bag over her shoulder. "I'm sure that's not true."

"Anyway, I've only got one term left of her, and then I'm free forever." He grins, taking her hand as they leave the canteen together.

"I'm sure she feels exactly the same way about you, H."

They walk out to the car together, Harry driving them today. They resumed their Friday lift routine from last week, back to alternating each week so that it would be fair. Today, however, is slightly different. Not only is it a Tuesday, but it's also Gwen's birthday. To celebrate, especially with the incredible weather they're having, they've decided to throw her a little party in the back garden - nothing too exciting so she doesn't get overwhelmed, but enough to put a smile on her face and have a drink.

They stop by The Fuzzy Duck to collect Anne, who carries a large gift bag and a potted herb. Adele quickly removes herself from the passenger seat so that Anne can ride shotgun, and then they head through town to Adele's house.

"Mum, what is that plant?" Harry asks bewilderedly, stealing glances at it with a frown every so often.

Adele peers through the gap between the two front seats, and suddenly barks a loud laugh. "It's sage."

Anne giggles as she holds the pot up to show it off, the thick ceramic decorated in vibrant mosaic tiles. "You should recognise sage when you see it, Harry - you're a bloody chef."

"I'm not very good with herbs, for fuck's sake." He moans, just as they cross over the bridge over the railway line.

"The pot is the gift, really. The sage is just a little joke. You know," Anne turns in her seat to look at Adele, "I asked your dad if he thought it would be funny, and he said if I didn't put sage in it, he'd be offended."

"Sounds like Dad." Adele nods with a blase smile. "Mum will find it funny, I'm sure."

"What am I missing? Where's the joke?" Harry demands, clearly not enjoying being left out of the loop.

Adele rolls her eyes. "Before Mum had her diagnosis, she went a bit mad with sage and started using it in all her cooking. It was growing in the garden, she'd put it in like, er, pot-pourri and have it burning in candles and stuff. Dad was losing the plot over it at one point."

"Oh..." Harry nods absently, turning into Holly Walk. "Yeah, I guess that is quite funny."

Anne shakes her head as she turns to look out the window, and Adele averts her smile to her lap, giggling quietly.

Harry pulls up onto the pavement behind Adele's car, and the three of them clamber out together. Adele spots Jason's car across the road, and a helpless smile spreads across her features knowing that her brother is home again.

Adele opens the front door, telling Anne to go on through to the garden where everyone should be waiting.

"Where are you going?" Harry asks, hovering in the hallway as Adele takes the first step up the stairs.