Chapter 10 - Term 3, Week 10

Monday

Adele's leg bounces repeatedly as she sits in the hallway, one leg crossed over the other at the knees. She stares intently at a display board full of information about the college orchestra that she didn't know existed, as well as the rising singing star she's never heard of. Apparently her song is on the radio at the moment.

In the nearby rooms she can hear all sorts of music being played, perhaps brilliant in an isolated room, but at the moment close to making her ears bleed. Having the student well-being offices so close to the loudest department at the college seems like a stupid idea, but this is definitely where she'd been told to go.

The door to Adele's right swings open suddenly, and she looks up with a startled gaze.

A tall, Amazon of a woman stands around the doorframe with an expectant smile, blonde hair in a long, neat and straight ponytail. Her blue eyes are kind but eager, There's a very large engagement ring on her finger.

"Adele?"

She nods, fervent but nervous, and stands quickly. "Um, yes."

"Hi," the lady sticks her hand out, "I'm Kerry."

Adele clears her throat, shaking Kerry's hand weakly. "Nice to meet you."

"You too." Her smile widens, and she moves back into the room she'd appeared from.

Adele follows her, timid in her demeanour. The room is small, a desk pushed into the far corner with a computer and monitor sitting neatly atop with a single pen and diary. Along one wall is a long leather sofa, and also an armchair under the window.

"Would you like a drink?" Kerry offers.

"Er," Adele glances around herself, noticing a drinks station on top of a filing cabinet. "Tea? Is that appropriate, like am I allowed?"

Kerry giggles, nodding. "Of course. Sit yourself down wherever you like."

"Thank you." She mumbles. She hesitates for a moment, looking between the sofa and the armchair and the desk chair. She wanders to the far end of the sofa, setting her bag down neatly at the foot, and perches gingerly on the edge.

"Were you reading about the college prodigy?" Kerry asks as she boils the kettle and prepares two mugs with tea.

Adele blinks, confused for a moment. "Oh," she means the singer on the pinboard, "yeah."

"What do you think?" She turns her head, expression calm yet also possibly just a little amused.

"I don't know, I haven't heard it. Or of her, actually. I don't listen to the radio, really."

"Yeah, don't waste your time with it. It's crap."

"Oh..." Adele doesn't know what to say. Aren't adults in education supposed to encourage creativity? Especially in a technical college like this one?

"Well, matter of personal opinion, obviously. I think it's crap, but I'm a bit of a music snob." Kerry shrugs, bringing the mug over to Adele.

"Thank you." She forces a smile. "I er, I've listened to the same songs for like, five years, I find the radio boring."

"I don't blame you." Kerry chuckles. "Do you mind if I sit here?" She points to the empty space on the sofa.

"No." Adele shakes her head.

"Lovely." She smiles, collecting her notepad and a pen, and sits down in the opposite corner of the sofa. "Good thing about a new student is I get to start a new notepad."