Chapter 1 - Easter Holidays, Week 2

Monday

"Baz," Gwen calls from her spot under the arbour, Eth sitting on her right and Adele on her left as she spins the needle furiously around the board, "left-hand yellow."

His head pops up from the sea of limbs around the game mat, a deep scowl on his face. "No it's not."

A rumble of laughter comes from each other person - both in and out of the game. Currently, it's a boy's round of Twister, with Baz, Casper and Harry splayed across the mat in ridiculous positions. Of course Gwen and Eth can't play, so it's only left down to the remaining four others. They'd originally tried a couple of matches with all four at once, but gave up on the idea pretty quickly since three members of the party are fully grown, and Casper cheats all too often.

"It is, I swear!" Gwen insists, holding the needle down and then flashing the board up to prove it. "Look!"

Baz growls, and awkwardly moves his hand around Harry's leg to place it firmly on a yellow dot. "I'm too old for this!"

"If you'd have taken up yoga with me when I told you to, you wouldn't be quite so stiff!" His wife calls back.

Adele grimaces at the thought, catching Harry's flushed gaze - clearly trying not to laugh.

"Mummy, my turn!" Casper demands, expression echoing that earlier of his dad's.

"Yes, yes, alright." Gwen sighs, spinning the need again. "Right-foot blue."

Casper picks the most inconvenient blue dot for his foot, next to Harry's right hand. The two share a mischievous look, though Harry's is more one of surprise at the boy's dirty tactics.

"Harry, left-foot red."

He looks down, a little soft second chin appearing as he does. "S'already there."

"Spin again!" Baz demands, swaying in his unnatural position.

Adele rolls her lips into her mouth, sniggering quietly.

"Alright, left-foot blue." Gwen amends.

Baz scoffs, clearly frustrated. "You're making this too easy for him!"

"I'm not making anything easy for anybody, quit whining."

Adele covers her mouth as more giggles leave her.

"Are you laughing, daughter of mine?" Her dad challenges, teasing somewhat.

"Nope, not laughing." She says quickly, but the tightness and pitch of her voice give her away.

"Baz, right-hand green." Gwen tells him.

As he moves, Casper sneakily lifts his leg up and catches his dad's foot, sending Baz backwards onto his bum and ending the game.

"Casper!" Barry yells, pulling at the boy's ankle lightly so that he also loses his balance.

"Oh, for crying out loud." Gwen mutters, dropping the board in defeat. "Casper, we said no more cheating!"

"I didn't!" He insists around boyish laughter.

"I've just watched you trip your dad over, don't lie to me!" Gwen retorts, exerting more energy than she probably should.

"Alright, everyone calm down." Eth sighs, taking the board into her lap.

"Casper, you're sitting the next game out." Gwen tells him as they vacate the mat.

"No! Why?!" He squeals, running over to his mother.

"Because you cheated!" She reminds him, rubbing over his hair playfully. "Just this one game, then you can go again."