Chapter Thirty One ~ May

Start from the beginning

Only two months ago I would have jumped him, right here in this damn elevator. Yet today, as much as I stare at him, I don't feel any urges to act on anything, not a single urge from down below.

"Can I help you?" he suddenly asks and I widen my eyes, realizing I've been caught staring.

I shake my head. "Not at all," I say honestly before slipping around him and stepping out the elevator, a ridiculous, unwipeable smile on my face as I begin down the light airy corridor towards Brett's room.

I feel on top of the world, absolutely unstoppable this morning, despite the fact that I'm homeless, with only four hundred dollars to my name.

Lightly pushing on the door, I let myself into Brett's room, smiling when both him and Sav look over at me, her perched on the edge of the bed.

"Bec!" Sav exclaims.

"Feeling better, Winters?" I ask and he nods.

"I am."

"Good." I smile. "I'm sorry that you were caught up in... the fire."

"Becky, it's not your fault," he replies slightly husky.

"You don't know that," I counter, my happy mood disappearing in an instant as soon as I remember what happened and the origination of the fire. My fucking bedroom.

"On the contrary," Sav smiles, "the fire department called me ten minutes ago. They haven't got any concrete evidence of what exactly happened yet, but they know it didn't originate in your room anymore."

"It didn't?" I exclaim, the stone weighing my heart down immediately lifting.

"No." Sav shakes her head. "It wasn't you."

"I never thought it was," I counter, lying through my teeth with a grin before prancing over and sitting next to Brett. "I can't believe you thought I'd go to such lengths to get rid of your boyfriend. You know I prefer the whole shoving them off a boat in the middle of the Pacific."

"Becky!" Sav squeals, reaching over and shoving my shoulder.

"Is that right?" Brett raises an eyebrow, an amused look on his face.

I shrug. "I've only had to do it to three of her old boyfriends."

"I guess I should be thanking you then," Brett says with a grin, and I smirk.

"How do you know that you're not next, Winters?"

"Because you're dating my best friend-"

"Whaaa!" I hold up my hands as I let out the high pitched wail, cutting him off. "I wouldn't necessarily say we're dating."

"I told you." Sav smirks at Brett.

"You're as bad as each other," Brett says to me and I wrinkle my nose up at his words.

"What? Did he say the same thing?"

"Why? Does that bother you?" Brett counters quickly, and I open my mouth to respond before clamping it shut. Damn it.

"Of course it does," Sav answers for me. "Becky Gordon likes Ellis Wakefield," she sings.

"Shut up!" I reach over, giving her a shove slightly harder than the one she gave me only minutes ago. "I wouldn't call it liking him."

"Oh, really?" Sav smirks. "What would you call it then?"

"Trying out his dick," I reply coolly, carefully brushing off any supposed feelings that they think I hold for Ellis. They are, after all, correct. But I can't let them know that... not yet anyway. It's all part of my charm.