9

Something soft and wet paired with a weight on my chest wakes me up on Saturday

Something soft and wet paired with a weight on my chest wakes me up on Saturday. My face scrunches up and I groan, turning away from whatever is keeping me from sleep. "Go away," I mumble and jump suddenly when something barks at me. My eyes shoot open and I'm altogether aware of the golden dog sitting on me.

My mouth drops open and I grin, squealing a little bit as I sit up and pet the large puppy. "And who might you be?" I ask, using a baby voice, petting under his ears, and turning his blue collar so that I can read his tag. Vitaly. "Well, that is a lovely name Vitaly. You are so cute." I kiss his nose and he sits still on my lap while I hug and pet him, wagging his fluffy tail.

My stomach growls so I stand up, looking down at Vitaly who stays sitting on top of my bed with his tail still wagging. I reach down and pick him up, struggling a little bit with his weight but he doesn't fuss so I carry him with my downstairs.

"Tall-E baby!" I hear calling and whistling from multiple rooms, Lexi and Chase's voices and I bury my head in the dog's neck as I walk towards the kitchen.

"I think I found what you're looking for." I smile at Lexi and she sighs, relieved.

"Chase! Aurora found him!" She yells and seconds later Chase joins us. I bend down to set the fluffy dog down and my eyes widen at the sight of Maddox sitting at the counter shirtless, eating cereal. The muscles in his back flex as he raises the spoon and my eyes are glued once again to his dark tattoo.

"Thanks, Rory. Where was he? We look all over the house." Chase pats his thighs and Vitaly trots over to him happily.

"On my bed. He woke me up with kisses and I couldn't think of a better way to start my weekend." I coo, looking at Vitaly and watch with wide eyes as Maddox chokes, his back wracked with coughs. Lexi slaps his back and I watch, worried until he waves her off and takes a deep breath. Letting out the breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding in, I kneel on the floor and Vitaly comes right over to me.

"He loves his auntie." Lexi laughs and I smile up at her as I run my fingers through his unbelievably soft hair, still youthfully short and fluffy. He looks to be about three months old.

"And you didn't send me pictures because..." I glare teasingly at Chase and he just grimaces and shrugs. Laying down on the floor, I move quickly and make noises to get Vitaly excited as everyone watches, entertained. Maddox's eyes are the only ones I avoid.

"You're really good with dogs." Lexi appreciates as I stand up to wash my hands and Vitaly follows me eagerly, sitting at my feet when I stop at the sink.

"Even as a child, animals just loved her," Chase says and I smile at the memory, tucking my messy bed-head hair behind my ear with a wet hand. Maddox chuckles and we all turn to him. When he notices the attention, he looks up like he hadn't realized he made any noise.

"What? Aurora. Good with animals. I can't be the only one who made the connection." He rolls his eyes and Lexi looks at him confusedly while Chase and I share a smile.

"Sleeping beauty, Angel," Chase says and wraps an arm around her waist. Lexi's lips form an 'o' and I tilt my head, leaning against the counter, across from Maddox.

"Have you never seen Sleeping Beauty?" I ask her and she shrugs. "And you have?" I ask Maddox and he rolls his eyes. Maddox stands up and moves to put his bowl in the dishwasher at the same time I walk to the cupboard to get a cup. I run into him and quickly back up. We both step to the left, then the right, then the left again before Maddox turns his body sideways and gestures for me to walk past. My heart is beating quickly and I wait until he leaves the room to press my cold hands against my face.

"Listen, we were gonna go out to eat. Wanna come with? Vitaly is coming too." Lexi offers and I look up apprehensively.

"I don't want to be a bother. I'm fine—"

"I want you to come. We can get to know each other better." She smiles genuinely at me and I concede easily, nodding. "Okay sweet. I'm wearing my bikini under this in case we decide to stop at the beach but wear whatever you want." She lets me know and I give her a quick hug before running upstairs.

After a long day spent running around and playing with Vitaly in the sun that I'm still not quite used to, I'm completely knackered by the time I enter the cool air-conditioned house. Chase and Lexi dropped me off, planning to spend the night at her apartment so I'm alone in the entryway.

I climb the stairs slowly, holding onto the railing and am surprised I'm able to drag myself all the way down the hall and into my bedroom. With the little energy I have left, I remove my clothes and pass out on top of the covers.

 With the little energy I have left, I remove my clothes and pass out on top of the covers