53

Two Months Later

Two Months Later

"That's the last one. Now you don't have any excuses." Maddox says as soon as I walk out of the large gymnasium where my last exam was held. I smile and launch myself into his arms, catching him by surprise but not knocking him over as he is basically a statue, chiseled and solid.

The entirety of the months of May and June were hectic and stressful, all classes preparing for the exams held at the end of June, not to mention Maddox's birthday party, although the two of us simply snuck back to my room to watch a movie. 

 Finding a table in the library was nearly impossible, and finding a short coffee shop line even more so. Tensions are high with everyone, and I'd noticed my brother and Lexi fighting more and more often, mostly revolving around the topic of time and not spending enough of it together. They are in the same engineering program which is demanding on its own, but both of them are varsity athletes and often don't have time to spend together. I empathize.

"Finally." I breathe and kiss him hard, right in the middle of the swarm of students leaving the gym around us. We break apart and link hands, walking out. I breathe in the fresh air dramatically and Maddox laughs at my antics.

"I was thinking of doing something special in celebration if you don't have any plans," Maddox mumbles as if he's embarrassed by his question. I stop him to look in his face.

"I don't have any plans yet. What did you have in mind?" I ask with a growing grin. The idea excites me. This would be the first time we would go anywhere together besides the city.

"Well, the location is a surprise. And it's not too far away, but we'd be getting on a plane." He copies my smile and I try to dampen the instinct to jump up and down excitedly.

"Does everyone else know yet?" I ask, referring to the rest of our friend group. He purses his lips and looks behind me before looking back.

"I was thinking...maybe it could just be the two of us. If not, I can book them tickets too." Maddox says anxiously, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. I place my hand on his arm.

"That sounds even better. What weather am I packing for though?"

"The girls said they'd pack for you. How do you feel about leaving tonight?" He has a worried look on his face and my jaw drops. Tonight?

"Oh my gosh! Yes!" I squeal and jump on Maddox, wrapping my limbs around him and he quickly catches me, laughing.

"Good, because I already have the flight booked and your bag packed. I'm taking you straight to the airport." Maddox says cheekily and I gasp, swatting at his arm.

"How did you know that I'd say yes?" I shout and he just shrugs. "Well, what are we waiting for? Take me to the airport!"