04

Come, accept this invitation of the devil to its cave, 
It wants to show you the beam of light that you have made.

-------------------------

<Me>
Wangji, your favorite book is something Shakespearean right?

That's how the first text bubble appeared on my phone under the contact I saved as Lan Zhan. His formal name, well I put it there on purpose. Now that I know it, it's sort of rude to continue calling him Lan Zhan.

<Me>
This is Xian by the way.
Oh wait. Did I tell you my name?
It's Wei Wuxian. Xian for short.

I'm on the living room floor making notes when my phone buzzes. Lan Zhan texts: Hello... Xian... (What's with the dots?) No. It's a book of Chinese proverbs.

I roll my eyes and reply: And you said, "I never thought it's a possibility" about being into literature.

<Lan Zhan>
If I liked literature, wouldn't I like Shakespeare better?

Hm, he's logical. Maybe he's not a poet who tripped off into business after all.

<Me>
Fair enough.

I shut my laptop and text: What classes do you have tomorrow?

Apparently, he takes a combination of Law and Business, which was exclusively requested by his Uncle when he transferred—some annoyance spikes in me whenever he mentions him. We have a few classes together, one tomorrow, and he agrees to go with me.

<Lan Zhan>
Does your brother not join you?

<Me>
Not this one. He changed his schedule because he 'can't stand me' in class. So we only have one or two together.
By the way, what's your favorite song?

<Lan Zhan>
Why all favorites?

<Me>
Told you, I'm trying to get to know you better.
Okay, imagine this. You disappear again. This time you hide in a deserted island, and I come haunting in the dark, cosplaying as a ghost, hard metal version of your favorite song in the background, (Or a ghostly version? You can choose) and read twisted forms of proverbs in your dreams.
Like, ghosting killed the cat.
Haha that sounds weird.

I typed all that, and I get a fucking reply paragraphs long: What is cosplaying?

<Me>
Oh my god. You can't be serious. That's dressing up.
You seriously can't be serious!!

<Lan Zhan>
I am...

I blink a few times looking at it.

<Me>
Forget it
You didn't tell me the song.
Hey, wait. I'm gonna guess it. I'm sure I can get this one right.

Laughing to myself, I send him a video of What's My Age Again, and he doesn't even take a minute to reply.

<Lan Zhan>
That will not be my favorite

That reply is fucking satisfying.

"Who are you texting?" Cheng asks from the armchair, and I realize I've been giggling at the phone.

"No one," I mumble, walking to my room, typing, 'What? That's humor.'

<Lan Zhan>
Your taste of humor is highly questionable.

<Me>
Totally agreed.
I was kidding earlier. Here's the right track. You'll definitely like this one.

This time I send him a track of Take Me To Church, a song I discovered through Xingchen and found strangely meaningful.