03

Never knew I missed you this much,
Never knew how empty I felt,
But now the feelings flow like never before,
Because I remember how good it could taste.

-------------------------------------------

Holding onto Lan Zhan's hand, I smile, recognizing his face. "It's really you," I chuckle. "Hell, you were acting like you don't know me." He keeps looking at me with an unreadably small expression. "Wait you remember me, don't you?"

"Mn. Wei Ying," he says, revealing a deep bottomless voice; nothing like it used to be.

I scrub a hand on my eyes. "Oh god, why did you pretend you—" I pause remembering that the only reaction he got from me is an expression of a mummified moron. "Never mind, forget it," I mutter. "How long have you been coming here? I don't remember seeing you before."

"Today is the first." He replies. So he's still one-worded like he used to be. He looks behind, I follow his gaze to a black Mercedes parked on the other side of the road. "I . . . should go now. Sorry."

Of course, I can't just spring out of nowhere and expect him to hang out with me, he does look like he's in a hurry. Still, despite that, some stubborn voice tells me that we shouldn't be strangers again just like this. "Do you have time tomorrow? Wanna grab a coffee with me?" He looks surprised. "Come on, for the old times' sake?"

After a totally bleak moment, he says, "Okay."

"Cool!" I chirp, like a literal chirp. "I'll meet you here at . . . four?"

Lan Zhan hums, unlike back then, it's a mezzo staccato in the first octave. It's . . . uh, it's deep.

"I'll leave for now," he says and looks down at—at our hands. A stabbing realization—I was still holding his. Fuck me.

"Oh." I couldn't stop the nervous chuckle that springs out of my mouth as I let go of the hand. "Sorry, I didn't—"

His gaze follows my hand. The second stabbing realization—I'm still wearing that wristband. Now I'm trying to—casually—put it behind my back. The god-forsaken odds are never in my favor.

"See you tomorrow," I attempt.

Another hum. It's deep.

He turns around and crosses the road. I think I might die before I do see him tomorrow.

When I walk into the living room, I had two pairs of eyes staring at me

When I walk into the living room, I had two pairs of eyes staring at me. "He looks okay," Shijie comments from the couch. "Better, maybe."

Cheng takes a good look at me and says, "He was pretty out of it before."

I stare at them dumbfounded. "What's going on?"

"Cheng tells me you were acting weird? Are you okay?"