True Love

Lisa's POV

I remember when I first met Jennie Kim. It was a warm summer day and I was six years old playing in the front yard of my house when a station wagon flanked by a large moving truck pulled up to the house next to ours.

She got out of the back of the station wagon with a smile on her face. Her brunette hair in a pair of pigtails and wearing a light blue summer dress. Even thought I didn't know it at the time, I had just fallen in love at first sight.

While her dad instructed the moving men, she and her mom came over and introduced themselves to me and my mom. Our parents became close friends, and of course that meant that Jennie and I became friends as well.

We hung out together all summer. I learned that she was a bit of a tomboy, preferring to climb trees and wrestle than play with dolls or have tea parties. That first day I saw her was one of the few times I remember ever seeing her wear a dress, her preferred attire being jeans and t-shirts.

As we grew up, we grew closer as friends. Our parents thinking nothing of us having sleepovers in the tent in one of our backyards were we would try and stay up all night, only to pass out shortly before sunrise. I told her about my condition and she said it was awesome to pee standing, and I was just happy that she didn't rejected me.

Over the years, I started to understand what the weird feelings I had for her were. It was love. I was in love with my best friend.

I remember when we were fourteen, we were talking about the rumors of some kids at school going out together, when I asked her what she would say if people starting to say she and I were going out. Nini stared at me for a moment before busting up laughing.

"That would be weird Lisa," she said. "You and I are like sisters, we're so close."

I forced a slight chuckle and said, "Yeah... Yeah, that would be weird."

But inside I was crushed. I could feel each crack as my heart broke. Here I was, in love with the girl of my dreams, and she viewed me the same as a family member.

The years passed on, and me feelings for her remained the same. I was still in love with her, even through she didn't have those feelings for me.

During our senior year of high school, I was going to ask her to prom. I had been planning on how I would ask her for months. I was going to tell her everything about how I felt in the hopes that she would see me in the same way I saw her and say yes. However, the day before I was going to, Jennie came bouncing up to me in the hall between classes with a huge smile on her face.

She told me about how this cute guy she liked in her science class had just asked her to prom.

I told her how happy I was for her, but once again, I was crushed inside. Jennie then told me all that we needed to do was get me a date, and the four of us could go to prom together.

"That's okay," I said. "I'm not really big on the idea of prom. I was just planning on staying home and watching some Mystery Science Theater 3000."

"Come on, Lili," she said. "It's prom. You have to go to prom."

"I don't want to," I said as I put my books away in my locker.

"Why not?" she asked as I slammed my locker closed.

"I just don't," I said and walked away. Nothing more was said about it.

The night of prom came, and I watched from my bedroom window as her date picked her up. Jennie looked even more beautiful and gorgeous than she normally did in her prom dress and with her hair all done up. This was the second time in my life that I had seen her wear a dress.