Geek Lust

"Jennie? Hey, it's Lisa. I just got the latest season of Battlestar Galactica on DVD," Lisa said into the phone.

"Cool! Can I check it out with you?" Jennie replied excitedly.

"Of course, that's why I'm calling. How about Friday night? My parents will be gone for the weekend. We'll have the house to ourselves, so we can watch it on the big TV in the basement."

"Battlestar on the big screen with 5.0 surround sound? I'm there! I'll bring the pizza," Jennie said.

"Great, see you then."

It was summer break between college classes. Lisa was a 20-year-old Korean major at a small college in Suwon. Lisa knew she was a geek, and had the resume to prove it. A bit too thin, un-athletic, a science fiction fan, former library aid, and member of the audio/visual crew during her high school years were her major qualifications. But in her own opinion, the worst qualifier was that had never been kissed.

Then there was Jennie. Plain Jennie, the geek goddess. She had all the curves of a wooden plank. Thin with no feminine hips or bust. But, she was not entirely unattractive. Jennie's long, dark brown hair that she usually pulled back in a ponytail, and her pretty, hazel eyes that peered out from behind a pair of glasses that were fashionably nerd almost gave her the look of a sexy librarian. Unfortunately, not quite sexy enough to make her popular with guys.

Jennie was also a fan of science fiction and a fellow Korean major at the same college as Lisa. She spent her high school years unnoticed by members of the male species. On a dare, her only kiss came from her best friend's older brother during a sleepover when she was in junior high school.

The pair first met at a science fiction convention during spring break from classes' freshman year. They quickly became friends after sharing a few classes together at college. Both were too shy to make their relationship turn romantic, though, they seemed to make the perfect pair.

Friday night arrived, and Jennie cheerily greeted Lisa at her front door with a hawaiian pizza and some homemade brownies. After the pizza was gone, the pair sat next to each other on the couch in the finished basement, munching on the brownies. The room was practically a movie theater with a small bar off to the side, a 5.0 sound system tuned to perfection, and the largest hi-definition movie screen you could imagine. It was the perfect evening as the two college kids enjoyed the DVD version of the Sci-Fi Channel's latest season of Battlestar Galactica together on the couch.

But, in the back of their minds, each of them thought about moving a little closer to each other. Their barrier of shyness prevented either of them from moving closer and sharing a warm snuggle on the plush couch.

"I love this room. I bet you are down here all the time." Jennie smiled.

"I get my turns. My dad is a fairly big sports fan, so he monopolizes it most of the time." Lisa replied.

"Well, he pays the mortgage, so he has the right."

"Yea, but not tonight." Lisa said with a satisfied grin.

As the episode ended, Jennie asked, "What other DVD's do you have that would look cool on this?"

"I got my collection up in my room, if you want to check it out?"

"Sure, let's see what you have in stock." Jennie chirped.

The couple trudged up to Lisa's room. It was tidy, but crammed full of stuff. A small TV and DVD player sat on a shelf surrounded by her collection of DVD's. Jennie thumbed through the various titles, pulling out a few to examine the covers. As she reached to put a handful of disks back on the shelf, she peered closely at the open space between a few of the disks.