My Soulmate

(NonHuman story)

Lisa's POV

Jennie

Her smell was intoxicating. Her blood called to me in a way I'd never experienced before.

And I'd certainly been alive long enough to have experienced the multitude of emotions humans could evoke in me.

At least I'd thought so.

But that was all before her.

Before Jennie.

She was truly the most exquisite creature I'd seen in my long life.

Her hair was as brown as chocolate and fell in light waves to the center of her back, a few strands framing her pale skin and drawing one's attention to her brown eyes. Her lips were full and red, matching the flush that so often covered her cheeks.

I had found her a month ago. She had been backpacking her way around Korea it seemed, catching buses to take her wherever she wanted to go. I had no idea if she had any family - though I knew she had a best friend that she called on the phone quite often.

I had told myself multiple times to let it go. To stop following her, but for some reason I couldn't. There was something in me that felt drawn to her - like magnets or the planets orbiting the sun.

I knew that I either needed to leave or I needed to introduce myself. All of this was starting to feel rather...stalker-like, and I was certainly not a stalker.

So why have you been following her for a month? asked my traitorous mind.

I shoved the thoughts away and watched as Jennie attempted to start a fire. She was camping in the woods, seemingly content to sleep in a tent instead of renting a hotel room.

Though did she even have money for a hotel room? She obviously wasn't working if she'd been traveling for at least a month that I knew of.

"Damn it." she cursed, kicking the pile of twigs she'd gathered as she chucked a lighter away from her.

I watched in amusement as she continued talking to herself.

"Great job, Jennie. Spectacular really. Camp out in the woods with no lighter in fucking October."

I couldn't feel the cold, but of course she would feel the slightly cool fall breeze that blew through the trees.

"Fuck." she muttered, slumping down on the leaf-covered ground.

I suppose this is as good a time as any.

I walked out from where I had been, approaching her slowly but loud enough that she would hear me.

Her head immediately spun around to look at me, and bloody hell she was even more beautiful up close.

"Do you need help?"

Jennie simply stared for a moment, her eyes flitting across my features before she slowly stood.

"No...um...no, thank you. I'm okay."

I arched an eyebrow, turning my attention from her to the strewn sticks and twigs to her right.

"It seems you could use a bit of help."

She cleared her throat, fidgeting, and it seemed obvious that she was wary of me. She was a woman, after all, and I was a stranger approaching her in the woods at sunset.

"Do you have a lighter?" she asked, glaring in the direction of where she'd thrown hers, "I realized a little too late that mine was empty."

I reached into my pocket and pulled out a lighter, tossing it to her in favor of walking any closer. I knew she was nervous, and spooking her was certainly not my plan.