Something You Need To Know

The next day was as busy as the one before; Beldon barely even had time to ask after Rosalia's wellbeing, let along take her aside and talk to her about the curse in more detail.

Raoul was avoiding him and Beldon caught him several times watching him with a peculiar expression on his face - one Beldon couldn't quite put a name to.

Louise was enjoying herself at least, whatever issues she'd had with Beldon in the past, she had either moved on from them or hid them extremely well, in fact out of everyone she was the only one who took the time to sit down with him and actually talk.

It was just after the midday meal, when people were milling about with tea that she caught his wrist and dragged him down beside her on the sofa.

"My goodness, I think I need a break," she said quietly and Beldon laughed slightly.

"But you were always so good at these types of affairs," he whispered back.

"If I hear 'these must be the best few days of your life,' again, I'm going to slap someone," she said, "These had better not be the best few days of my life because otherwise - as wonderful as they've been - the rest of my life looks bleak."

Beldon snorted with laughter, putting a hand to his mouth and leaning back. "You'll be fine," he promised, "Life will be wonderful for you, he'll make sure of that." He jabbed a thumb in Raoul's direction where his friend had been trying to stifle a yawn for the last fifteen minutes as old Mr MicKerby rattled on about his latest fishing adventure - Raoul was a great hunter and sportsman, fisherman on the other hand? Well...

Louise looked over to her new husband, smiling slightly, before she set a hand on Beldon's knee, making him look at her. Her smile was still in place but her eyes were serious.

"Are you alright, Beldon?" she asked softly.

He cocked his head slightly. "Naturally, why do you ask?"

"Your feelings have changed, haven't they, that why you could come back."

His eyebrows rose and he slowly straightened in his seat, her hand staying on his knee.

"What do you mean?" he asked carefully.

"You knew I'd been in love with Raoul for years, didn't you?" Louise asked, confusing him.

"Yes," he said, frowning at her.

"How did you know?"

He shook his head. "I just did, I could tell by watching you..." his voice faded as he stared at her and she smiled.

"Rivals watch each other, even more then friends do," Louise said, "I watched you as well, it's why I always knew there was something... more between you two."

"How can you take that knowledge so well?" Beldon asked.

"Because whatever it was and however deep it went, I know it ended and it won't be starting again. Even if you hadn't moved to the country, it would have ended because I saw it coming to an end before my eyes in the months before you left."

Beldon stared at her and she smiled gently.

"You didn't even notice?" she asked softly, "Well I suppose it's hard to see the end drawing near when you're on the inside. But you were drifting away from Raoul."

"Me?" Beldon said, shocked, "Surely it was the other way around."

Louise blinked. "It was mutual, but Raoul is still very attached to you." She glanced over to her husband. "I think he feels he has to take care of you, like you're a woman."