Story Books

Beldon found Iago before Vanessa later that day. On his way back to his rooms to confront Vanessa about The Beast's knowledge of the book, he found Iago making the same trip.

He grabbed the servant's shoulder and spun Iago to face him, backing him up against a wall and shoving the book in his face.

"How do you know about this?" he demanded, his eyes almost black with rage and worry.

Iago's body language was as calm as ever as he looked at the book. "Are you not happy with your gift, Sir?" he asked.

"I'm delighted with it, what I asked you is why you know about it and why The Beast knows about it?" Beldon snapped. "Did Vanessa tell you? Is that how you know? Did she tell you about our conversation?"

"The conversation you and Vanessa shared on the balcony was a private one; she would never share such information with anyone, even The Master."

"Then why do you know?" Beldon cried, "Were you listening?"

"I overheard, I apologise."

Beldon's face went white. He let go of the valet and took several steps back until he hit the opposite wall. "How much did you hear?" he muttered.

"Most of the conversation," Iago admitted, smoothing out his clothing.

"Most?" Beldon whispered, slowly sinking to the ground. "You mean..."

"I heard what you would have kept secret," Iago admitted and Beldon tilted his head back, banging it back against the wall, looking up at the ceiling. Iago opened his mouth then stopped and looked down the corridor. Beldon sensed his shift from calm to irritation and looked around.

Sebastian stood at the end of the hall, looking between them, his eyes narrow and suspicious.

"Excuse us," Iago snapped before walking to Beldon, taking his arm and pulling him to his feet, not giving him time to protest before he pulled him away, heading back to Beldon's rooms, leaving Sebastian behind.

Once they were back in Beldon's rooms and Iago closed the doors behind them, he turned to Beldon just as Vanessa came out of a side room and saw Beldon's face.

"What happened?" she asked quickly, looking between them.

"He knows," Beldon muttered, walking passed, heading out to the balcony and dropping into his seat. "He overheard our conversation and told The Beast."

"What?" Vanessa cried and whirled on Iago.

Iago quickly held up his hands to fend off her fury and followed out after Beldon. Bringing a chair out with him, he set it opposite Beldon and sat down.

The bright reflective sunlight bounced around them, making Iago wince, shielding his eyes as he looked over the forest and Beldon glanced at him and blinked.

For a split second, no longer then a blink, it was as is the sunlight penetrated a few layers of darkness. It didn't rid it completely, it was like looking through liquid smoke, but Beldon saw the details of a man there. Dark skin and black hair with sharp eyes, his uniform a tailored coat from another land over trousers.

And then it was all black again, the only light being the light in his eyes as he looked at Beldon.

"I did not tell The Master about anything other than the book," Iago said, shifting to the edge of his seat and leaning forwards, his eyes locked on Beldon's.

Beldon looked away and Iago touched his knee to make him look again.

"I promise, Sir," he said gently, "Yes, I overheard it, I know what you have kept secret and what has troubled you for the last few days, but upon my honour, I have not told The Master this secret and I never shall. You have my word on that. I told him of the books because I thought they might bring comfort, after being away from home for so long. I will never tell anyone of your secret unless you order me to do otherwise. I would not betray your trust to anyone, Sir."