Returning Winter

"You're not really leaving, are you?" Julius cried, bursting into Beldon's dressing room in the afternoon the next day.

Beldon looked over his shoulder then turned to Julius as he did up a cuff link. He didn't have to see the servant's face to tell he was shocked and hurt by the idea. "Yes, I'll be leaving soon," Beldon said, turning his attention to the other cuff.

Vanessa had refused to give him his old clothes back and instead left out fresh, new riding garments, sharply shined boots and a coat of a finest quality. Clearly she wasn't going to let anyone say he hadn't been well cared for, at least when it came to clothing.

"Soon?" Julius cried, "but why?! You don't have to leave! You shouldn't be scared of Sebastian, he knows not to go near you again, he'll never hurt you again."

Beldon smiled at him. "It's not that, Julius, it's about time I left. Beauty has been found, so I'm going to go collect her."

"But you don't have to go! She can come here and you can stay. This is place is so boring otherwise."

"I promise you, my sister won't be boring," Beldon said, tying his cravat, "I'll tell her about you so you'll take care of her right?"

"Beldon."

"Right?"

"Of course I will," Julius sighed. "But you'll come back right? Just to visit? When the curse is lifted?"

"Perhaps," Beldon said, turning away to a mirror and tying his hair back. "I suspect Rosalia will wish for all of us to meet her 'Soul mate'."

"I don't think The Master wants you to go," Julius said, walking forwards and holding Beldon's waistcoat up for him. "He hasn't left his quarters since last night."

"He'll forget me in no time," Beldon said, hooking his arms in and shrugging the waistcoat on, buttoning it up.

"I don't think he ever will," Julius muttered, setting Beldon's boots out for him.

"Well, that will remain to be seen," Beldon said.

Iago walked into the main room just as Beldon finished getting dressed. He was holding a satin bag which he held up when Beldon and Julius came out of the dressing room.

"The Master said to leave you a gift," he said, walking to a side table and opening the bag, "He thought you might wish to give your friend and his new bride a wedding present."

He laid out the content of the bag and Beldon stared.

Jewellery. Incredible jewellery from the treasury. There was a gold necklace with a large ruby set into the pendant. A white gold necklace with hundreds of tiny diamonds set into the tendrils that fell from the neck with matching earrings. And there was a ring with an incredible diamond set in the centre.

"I chose the pieces," Iago said, "I hope they are to your taste. I supposed I wished to... show up the man who hurt you, I'm sure whatever he can buy his bride, it won't compare to these."

Beldon gaped at them for a moment, then smiled slightly. "No, no I shall certainly stun the crowd with this gift," he said.

"What man who hurt him?" Julius said, confused.

"Never you mind, young man," Vanessa said, joining them.

"Vanessa and Iago will tell you after I'm gone," he said.

Iago looked at him. "Are you sure?"

"Might as well, it won't matter once I'm gone," Beldon said. He looked at Julius and clapped a hand on his shoulder. "I hope it doesn't change your view of me," he said, before squeezing his shoulder and picking up his coat.