The Castle

The next morning, Beldon woke up with a jolt, sitting up, wide eyed, his mind confused and terrified for a mere moment before the night flooded back into sharp focus.

He collapsed back against the pillows, tugging the heavy cover over his head, then frowned, opening his eyes. He didn't remember getting into bed.

He remembered getting on the bed and lying down... but he didn't remember un-tucking the covers and sliding under them.

He looked down at himself and sat bolt upright again, throwing the covers off. He didn't remember changing into a nightshirt either! Someone had undressed and redressed him in the middle of the night!

Who? What?

"Vanessa!" he shouted, stumbling out of bed, almost falling into the dressing room. He stopped, staring.

All the dresses were gone, everything that would belong to a woman, nothing, just empty racks reflected in mirrors.

Vanessa appeared in the reflection of her golden mirror, eyes wide in worry – and it barely crossed Beldon's mind that he had called to a mirror for help before he tugged at his shirt.

"Who changed me?" he demanded, flushing at the idea. Honestly, it was one thing to change in front of other men but it was quite another to be changed without your knowledge with who-knew-who-else in the room. "Was it you?"

Vanessa also flushed. "Certainly not, Beldon, it would have been Iago – one of the valets. You fell asleep in your clothes and he would not have been able to stand that, he's very particular in his ways. He would have changed you and put you to bed. You were so tired last night, my dear, you fell asleep almost as soon as you lay down. You didn't even stir as we put away the clothes."

She suddenly walked out of her mirror and appeared in one beside him, making him stagger backwards but she just walked past.

"Your breakfast has been set out for you, I hope you have an appetite, though you did eat rather late last night. And we have clothes for when you are ready to change."

Beldon looked around the room.

"Where's The B... your master?" he asked, checking himself – the staff perhaps would not take kindly to Beldon's name for The Master, but seeing as he had not given Beldon a name and he certainly wasn't going to call him The Master, The Beast would suffice.

"The Master?" Vanessa copied, looking at him, "Oh, I could not tell you. As you might imagine, with my place in this room and his free to roam wherever he so chooses, I have little knowledge as to his whereabouts, you'd do best asking after his personal staff."

Beldon let out a breath, turning to the table, a new covered platter on the table. Lifting it, he revealed a luscious breakfast of pastries, sweet and savoury, breads, meats and cheeses. There was also an assortment of juices and hot drinks laid out on another table. It was all too much for him alone.

"What should I do today?" he asked as he took a seat. "May I look around the castle and grounds?"

"Of course," Vanessa said, appearing in a small mirror on the table beside him, "Would you care for a tour?"

"No, I like to wander at my own pace. Will I meet anyone else?"

"Perhaps, it depends on who wishes to be met."

"Do others know I'm here?"

"Oh yes," Vanessa said, "Every one will know you are here by now. The young man who surprised The Master and gave himself up for the sake of his sisters' freedom, yes everyone knows you are here."