Returned to The Castle

Beldon woke on his front, flat on a mattress. He could feel a heavy duvet on him, but only on his lower half. He knew he was shirtless but there was something tight around his chest. Light shone through his eyelids but he didn't want to raise them just yet. He ached and felt hot and cold at the same time – he was running a fever. And the more awake he became, the more aware he became of a dull throb across his shoulder blades. 

"Sire, your breakfast has been prepared in your quarters," came a soft voice from nearby, quiet, like they didn't want to wake him.

"I shall eat in here," came the reply. Beldon almost tensed at the voice – only tensing hurt his back so he relaxed. It was the voice of The Beast. He was close, probably beside the bed.

There was a sigh. "Sire, it has been three days. Do you not think it is time to come away for more than just a few minutes?"

"If I thought that, I would have come away already."

"Sire, Beldon will be fine. The boy is strong and healthy and he is well tended. Jasper's tonics and creams will return him to his former self soon. You do not need to hover so; he is safe within these walls."

There was a long silence.

"No he's not," finally came the whispered reply.

"Sire?"

"If he were safe then this wouldn't have happened. It's my fault."

"Now Sire, you have done nothing to be blamed for. The boy went where he had no right to be. He had no right to look upon you without your permission. It is not your fault."

"Oh honestly!" came a new voice, curt and snappish – though still quiet. Beldon recognised it, though it had been a long time since he had heard it, it was the voice of the person who had tended him when he had fainted the first night.

"Jasper," hissed the other voice.

"Don't you scold me, Sebastian. The boy was told he was hated. Called a torment. I'm not saying you are at fault, Sire, I would never blame you for anything – that would be over stepping my bounds – but I do not blame him for leaving."

"Jasper, I don't think you have any reason to stay here right now."

"I'm not sure you have either. You came to inform Sire of his breakfast, you informed him, now leave so I can work."

"Enough, the pair of you," The Beast growled and Beldon heard jaws close so quickly the teeth audibly snapped together. "You can both leave if you have no more business in here."

"Now look what you've done, you've woken him," came another voice, but this one he knew well and he felt his body relax. It was Vanessa, tight with worry and irritation. "Both of you should leave."

Beldon's eyes flipped open just in time to see a small panicked furry shape dart out of his eye line. He tried to lift onto his elbows to see over the edge of the bed and the pain in his back almost knocked him out again.

He moaned against the bed as a flurry of anxious activity burst into action somewhere beyond his peripheral vision. And then he felt a gentle hand on his head, large and warm, though gloved. It stroked his hair once then stilled, resting at the base of his neck.

"You should not move too fast, your back was wounded badly. It will take time to heal," The Beast said quietly from behind him. Beldon made to turn his head but The Beast held him in place with a tiny amount of pressure, stilling him so he couldn't look. "We shall leave you to be attended. You still need rest."

There was a sound of movement, then the hand released him and Beldon turned his head, only to find emptiness before him. The Beast was gone, along with Jasper and Sebastian.

Someone he knew did step into view however, a welcome familiar figure.

Iago knelt by the side of the bed so Beldon could see him.

"Are you in pain, sir? Shall I fetch something to ease it? Or a sleeping draught?"

"My horse," Beldon said instead.

Not missing a beast, Iago nodded. "He has been placed with the grooms and they attend him with as much care as we attend you."

"And his leg?"

"We shall have to see what magic his grooms can perform."

Beldon closed his eyes with a sigh of relief. Only to have a sudden flash of snow and lunging fangs shock into his mind's eye, making him jolt, eyes snapping open again.

"Sir?"

Beldon laid there, eyes wide, frozen.

Iago was silent for a moment, then stood. "Come, we shall help you sit and you can eat something and take something for the pain."

Iago reached forwards and he felt another set of hands on his other side. With slow painstaking care, they turned him over and raised him so he sat back against a mountain of pillows.

He winced as he was settled back but once he was adjusted the pain was more just a continual dull moan, though it was muted by the bandages stretched over his chest and one shoulder.

He looked up to Julius who had helped him as Iago fetched a tray.

"I'm glad you're alright," Julius said softly, kneeling beside him. Beldon felt the smile behind the faceless mask. "Though I warn you, Vanessa is mad. I don't think she slept since you were brought in."

"I am most certainly mad!" came a shout from one of the branching rooms and then Vanessa appeared in the mirror on the table, furious as she glared at Beldon. "Do you have any idea how worried I have been? I must have aged thirty years in the last three days! You could have been killed! And then when you came back with those wounds! Oh I could kill you myself!"

Beldon smiled slightly, apologetically. He held out a hand and Julius handed him the mirror which he settled on his lap.

"I am sorry," he said gently, meaning it.

"You're sorry?! I want to hear that from The Master! OH! To not understand that careless words can lead to scarring wounds!"

"Now Vanessa," Iago said, coming back, setting the bed tray on Beldon's lap. Beldon balanced the mirror on the bed and picked up his cup of tea.

Everyone was quiet for a while, Vanessa watching him eat, Iago and Julius attending to meaningless things around the room until Beldon was finished. Julius took the tray away and Beldon sat there for a moment, looking at his lap.

"Bel?" Vanessa asked gently.

"I was attacked by monsters in the forest... huge beasts of wolf," he muttered.

"We know," Vanessa said, her voice kind and soothing.

"There were three of them... are there more like that?"

"There are a great many evil things in that forest," she replied.

Beldon was still for a moment, then he bit his lip as they began to tremble, pressing a hand to his eyes.

"So that means I'm trapped here?" he asked, his voice shaking more than he cared it to.

His attendants looked to each other, pained by his pain.

"I'm sorry," Vanessa whispered.

"I think I would like to sleep now," Beldon whispered in reply, tremors starting to skitter through his entire body, a panic attack?

A glass was placed in his hand and he downed it without a second thought. Instantly, a warmth rushed into his back, drowning out the pain and a darkness descended across his mind.

His head fell back and he felt a hand catch it. He was vaguely aware of Julius and Iago turning him back onto his front and moving him down so he lay flat on the mattress. The duvet was moved back into place, just to his waist so it didn't bother the bandages and then he floated into dreamless darkness again, safe from the castle and the monsters.