Dining with The Beast

The rest of the castle held all the same rooms as the East Wing, only it did not have the same well-kept appearance at his quarters. Beldon also found most of the rooms in the West Wing were locked up tight or jammed shut and no matter how much he pushed or threw his weight against the doors, they would not unstick.

He didn't get out to the frozen gardens, that would have to happen tomorrow. He also became lost getting back to his rooms. The hallways looked different during the day then they did in the dark and he couldn't recall the route The Beast had taken the night before.

After endless trailing and confusing rooms with rooms and halls with halls, and only after darkness fell did he finally recognised his door at the end of its short corridor – much to his relief.

He pushed open the doors, stepping into the sprawling rooms, moonlight drifting through the windows.

The calm of the room was shattered suddenly though when the candles flared to life and Vanessa appeared in one of the mirrors.

"You're late!" she cried, rushing through the mirrors until she reached the one closest to him.

"Oh yes?" Beldon said, walking through the room, pulling the tie from his hair.

"You must be down in the dining room now, you cannot be late. The Master does not approve of being late," she said, "hurry now, please Bel."

Beldon glanced at her at the use of his family nickname but Vanessa was already sweeping away towards the room he had found his clothes in.

"Please," she said, "complete the outfit and hurry down."

"He will care that much?" Beldon asked, walking past.

"He only gave you one duty."

Beldon paused. Yes, one duty, it was rude to not fulfil it. He turned up his collar and grabbed the scarf, tying it around his neck and pushing it into the waistcoat before rolling down his sleeves and picking up the beautiful green coat. He looked at it for a moment, gently running his hands along the front, before swinging it over his shoulders and slipping his arms through.

It fit perfectly.

Smoothing out the shoulders, he stepped out of the room and Vanessa looked at him.

"Well?" he said, turning for her.

She smiled softly. "You look beautiful," she said, then put her hand to her mouth. "Apologies, handsome," she said with a small laugh, "The habits of being a lady's maid, you'll excuse the language."

He nodded to her and she curtsied to him before walking back into her dressing room and he walked to the door, pulling it open.

A black shadow stood before him with a pair of glowing white eyes.

He screamed, falling backwards, scrambling away.

"Beldon?" Vanessa cried, rushing out before seeing him on the floor and seeing the cause of his fright, sweeping through the mirrors to join him. "Bel, it's alright, this is Iago, the valet I mentioned before. He will not hurt you."

Beldon stared; his eyes wide as the shadow, shaped just like a man in silhouette, bowed to him.

"I apologise for the fright," it – he – said. "I did not mean to. I have come to escort you to dinner."

Beldon just sat there for a moment.

"Talking mirrors and walking shadows," he whispered, "What happened in this castle?"

Vanessa and Iago glanced at each other and Iago straightened up, offering a hand. "If we could move swiftly to dinner, sir," he said.

Beldon looked at the hand, then slowly reached up and rested his hand in Iago's. It was like a human hand. He stared, confused, and Iago pulled him to his feet.