Chapter 28

After Maric and Dara had finished talking and had settled in to just comfortably lay with one another, Mathers had returned with a massive bowl of chicken soup for Dara. After consuming the entire thing as quickly as his exhausted body would allow, Dara had laid back down and immediately fallen asleep. Maric had other things he ought to have been doing, but he wasn't about to leave Dara's side just yet. He wrapped his arms around him and took a nap as well.

A few hours later, he was woken by raised voices coming from further down the hall.

Maric carefully disentangled himself from Dara, ran his fingers through his hair and smoothed out his clothes, and went to see what the fuss was all about.

He wasn't the only one who had been alerted to the commotion. Doors were open all down the hallway, his men ready to take action if they were needed.

A few doors down Lord Nolen stood with his arms folded over his chest, glowering at Brayan. "I want my slave back. Now."

"I don't take orders from you," Brayan said, voice perfectly calm. "I take orders from—" he nodded at Maric as he approached "—him."

Lord Nolen turned to face Maric. "I would like my slave back now, please. Surely you've had time to question him."

"Why do you want him back so badly?" Brayan cut in before Maric had a chance to respond. "Maybe there's more that he could tell us. You're clearly afraid of something."

"I want him back because he is my slave," Lord Nolen said. "Shall I ask to borrow Prince Maric's slave and then speculate that he must be hiding something if he declines?"

Brayan was silent for a moment as he stared Lord Nolen down. "I'll buy him from you."

Maric's eyebrows lifted. That was unexpected. He'd had some idea that Brayan was less detached from this situation than usual, but to buy the slave? What was he even planning to do with him? This was something that should have been discussed before they found themselves in this situation, but he wasn't about to question his Captain now. Brayan had always had Maric's back and Maric would have his, too.

Lord Nolen laughed. "You can't afford him. Trust me."

"I'm the captain of the prince's guard. I make decent money and I don't spend much of it. Try me."

Lord Nolen shook his head. "He doesn't look like much, but the price point that comes attached to a seer — even a useless one — is more than you can match. And even if you could afford him, there are cheaper options for what you're looking for."

Brayan didn't react to the implication. Honestly, Maric wasn't sure Lord Nolen was even incorrect in his assumption. Bug was a handsome young man, and if he were fed properly he would be downright gorgeous. He might have drawn Maric's interest if it weren't thoroughly focussed elsewhere.

"Just give him a price," Maric said. "Maybe he can't cover it, but I certainly can."

Lord Nolen shook his head. "Unfortunately, there isn't one. He's not for sale."

"That's strange," Brayan said. "He told me that you often tell him that he's not worth what you paid for him. Is that untrue?"

Lord Nolen scoffed. "No, that's completely true. He's the worst purchase I've ever made. Useless garbage. However, my father taught me that as men of status there are two things we must never do if we wish to maintain our privacy. We must never take a lover outside of marriage and we must never sell a slave. No amount of money will change my mind."

"What will?" Brayan asked.

"Nothing," Lord Nolen said. "Now, are you going to give me my slave back, or are we going to have to escalate this situation?"