Chapter 48

When they headed downstairs, they found Dara and Bug sitting on a sofa that leant back against the side of the staircase in the foyer. Bug had his eyes shut and his head resting on Dara's shoulder. When Dara spotted them, he ran a hand over Bug's hair and murmured something to him.

Bug's dark eyes blinked open and he covered a yawn with the back of his hand. He looked so exhausted. The half-formed plans in Brayan's mind fell apart and immediately started to rearrange themselves.

"Bug," Brayan said. "Why don't we go back out to the stables and take another look at your horse?"

Bug's eyes locked on Brayan's, then flicked to Maric before landing back on Brayan, a question in them.

It was Maric who answered it. "He's yours. You deserve nice things, Bug."

"Thank you, your highness," Bug murmured, eyes aimed at Maric's collarbone. He sounded like he might cry.

Dara helped Bug up and then headed straight for Maric's side. They were both smiling as Maric wrapped an arm around Dara's back.

Brayan had to fight the urge to just pick Bug up in his arms and carry him as they headed outside. He was so frail, so tired. He perked up once they were inside the stables and he saw the horse again, though.

"Are you sure he understood which horse it was?" Bug asked. "Did you tell him it was Luce's brother?"

"Bug, don't insult me," Brayan said. "I know how to convey a simple message."

Bug ducked his head. "Sorry, sir."

"Don't do that, either," Brayan told him. "What will you name him?"

Bug ran his fingers over text carved into the front of the horse's stall. "He already has a name. Laurent."

"You can change it if you prefer a different one."

Bug shook his head. "No. That's his name. I won't take his name from him."

"Hm." Brayan stroked Laurent's nose. "Are you going to go back to going by Buagh in Ticia?"

"I hadn't given it much thought," Bug admitted. "I suppose so. It would feel odd to ask my family to call me anything else. But... I don't hate Bug like you might expect. I'll probably keep it as a nickname."

"Mm, okay," Brayan said. "Do you mind if I take Laurent out for a quick ride around the grass?"

Bug turned his head and met Brayan's gaze. He had such full eyelashes, such intense eyes, and on the rare occasion he looked directly at Brayan, it was always so hard to resist the urge to reach out and touch him. "Do I mind, sir?"

"He's your horse. Even Maric would ask permission before riding someone else's horse. He doesn't have to, of course, but it's basic manners."

"I'm still a slave right now," Bug murmured. "Yes, of course you can ride him."

Brayan entered the stall and started saddling Laurent. Everything about him, both in terms of appearance and nature, reminded Brayan of Luce. Perfect in every way, and he knew it.

Brayan led Laurent outside, mounted him, and guided him into a gentle canter around the courtyard. He was obedient and responsive, like an extension of Brayan's own will. That was how Brayan liked his horses.

Bug was smiling as Brayan came back around. "He's so pretty."

Brayan found himself returning the smile. "Pretty? A horse like this is beautiful, Bug."

"Yes, of course. I hope he likes me. I'm glad horse's don't understand status, because if they did, he would know he was too good for me."

"Don't be tiresome, Bug," Brayan said as he dismounted next to him.