Chapter 57

Maric and Dara played around in the water for a while longer, and then they dressed and returned to camp for lunch. Mathers told them that he'd just finished preparing Bug's lunch and that Brayan was currently in the tent with him, so they got food for all four of them before heading back to the tent. For Maric, Dara, and Brayan, lunch consisted of bread and stew. Bug got soup and applesauce, though Maric suspected the soup was just the stew the rest of them were eating, only pulverised.

"We brought you lunch," Maric said to Brayan as he and Dara entered the tent.

Maric didn't miss the look that flicked across Brayan's face. After all they'd been through, Brayan was still uncomfortable stepping too far outside of their respective roles.

"Thank you," was all Brayan said in the end, but it sounded stiff.

Maric sat down, setting the tray between himself and Brayan. "Have you spoken to him about what happened yet?"

"Not yet," Brayan said. "I didn't want to wake him just for that. We can ask him about it while he eats."

Dara placed a hand on Maric's shoulder and lowered himself down to sit, then left it resting there, a touch that was in some ways more intimate than many of the sexual things they'd gotten up to.

Brayan leant in close to Bug and shook his shoulder. "Bug. Lunch."

"Mmm?" Bug inquired as he stretched out.

"Food, Bug. Come on, wake up."

Bug reluctantly cracked his eyes open.

"You can go back to sleep soon, but you need to eat."

"Okay," Bug said, though he made no effort to move.

Brayan got his arms under Bug and hauled him into a sitting position. Bug yawned as he leant back against Brayan's chest, his eyes still struggling to stay open. When they blinked open once more, he caught on Maric watching him and suddenly he didn't look quite so half asleep. He shifted self consciously, his gaze dropping, but he was decidedly awake now.

"Applesauce or soup first?" Brayan asked him.

"Apple," Bug murmured.

Bug let himself be spoon fed the first few bites of applesauce before he took over the task and started feeding himself.

"So, Bug," Maric said. "Brayan tells me you got up and drew a line on the wall of the cave. I assume you had some reason for that?"

"Oh." Bug was silent for a moment. "Well, I had a dream."

"What happened in your dream?"

"I drew a line on the cave wall."

"I see."

"And then another, and another, and another, but I think on different days. I was wearing different things and there were different people around me."

"Do you think it's a way of keeping time?" Dara suggested.

"Like counting days?" Brayan asked. "Surely we won't be here long enough that we'll lose track."

"No, but... I think Dara's right," Bug said. "My guess is that it's a frame of reference. If I look into the future myself, I know when what I see will happen. If a vision is pushed upon me, I would typically have no idea when it takes place unless I can tell by context."

"That makes sense," Maric said. "Considering you saw yourself drawing multiple lines, should I assume we'll be here for at least a few days?"

"I think so, but..." Bug shrugged.