Chapter Twenty- Eight

We were back at Jace's house. He was holding Mr. Pengy while I was busy sipping away on a milkshake. Jace said he had to get something from the backyard so I went inside the house alone.

I stepped through the door and there was Destiny. Tears running down her face. Makeup ruined. Eyeliner smudged. Hair tangled. Clothes wrinkled. She looked terrible. The worst I've ever seen her.

She tried to put on a straight face to look strong in front of me. But it was too late. I'd already seen her.

"Des-" She took one look at me and ran up the stairs. I was always faster than her. I yanked her back down, she pushed and pulled but I was stronger too. "Destiny!" She swung around looking me in my eyes. The only thing in hers was fear. So much fear.

"GET OUT!" She screamed, pushing me harder. I would've fallen down the steps if I hadn't been holding on to the railing.

"Look at me!" I pleaded. "Look at me!"

"NO, YOU'RE JUST A GOLD DIGGING BITCH!" That stung, hearing it from her instead of her boyfriend. Hearing it from the one person who knows me best.

"What did Jasper do?" Rage flashed in her eyes.

"Nothing, let go and leave me the fuck alone. Get your lonely ass out of here!"

That's when I saw it. The bruise. A fucking bruise right below her left eye. I haven't seen her in a while and it's fading now, but I can see the fresh slap mark on her right cheek. Jasper.

I reached out to touch it, not thinking clearly until she slapped my hand away.

"Don't you fucking dare!" She poked me in the chest, hard. "Don't touch me, Scarlett!"

"Destiny, you need help. We need to go right now," I said calmly. "You can get out of this. He isn't your only option. I swear to you, Destiny We can get through this together." She glared.

"If you knew what was good for you, Scarlett," She sneered. "You would learn how to shut your mouth." Her eyes darted to the stairs.

"Destiny, listen to me. He's not good for you!"

"Excuse me, Jasper loves me!" She shoots back. "Wish I could say the same for you." I let her comment roll off my back.

"Destiny please- come on. Let's go to my house."

"Can't you take a hint? I'm staying and there's nothing you can do or say to change that."

I know what I said to Jasper, but if what I'm about to say will help my friend out of an abusive relationship. Then I'll say it a million times.

I was quiet for a second, Destiny took this as me backing down and gave me a triumphant grin. She turned to go back upstairs, but I grabbed her arm. "Jasper's cheating on you," I whispered.

Destiny stopped, her nail ticking on the railing. Faster with each passing second.

"Whatever." She finally said, continuing up the stairs.

"Destiny, did you hear me?" She turns around, giving me a once over a look of pure distaste in her eyes.

"You're prone to lying about important things. How's this any different?" She said, dryly.

"I'm your best friend, I wouldn't lie to you about this,"

"What do you mean? You're a liar. That's what you're best at."

"Des, I'm not lying about this." She scoffs

"I can't believe I didn't expect this," I raised my eyebrows in confusion. "You've always been jealous of me."